Author Topic: Delayed Write Failures  (Read 5952 times)

vtloon

Delayed Write Failures
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
Hi I have been trialing avast in preference to symantec recently but have hit on 1 problem that I feel is related to avast.
We use Goldmine contact manager which allows remote users to synchronise data with our local database.

The machine I have the goldmine server running on allows remote access via a port and has previously worked but since installing Avast it has started giving me delayed write failure errors.  No other software gives me this error but I can be sure it was working before installing avast.  Also if i stop on access protection it works fine.

I have tried excluding the goldmine directory with \\computername\goldmine\* and G:\* (g: is a mapped drive to c:\apps\goldmine folder drive to ensure all workstations can map the goldmine directory as G:) as well as excluding and extensions of the files it fails on.  I have done a scan disk and all is well and I have no reason to suspect there is anything wrong with the computer.

I am hoping to switch all our machines over to Avast but this is quite a big problem that I need to get past before I can do that.

Currently the machine is running Avast Home demo, would installing the pro demo on top of that make any difference?

I currently have On Access protection and can see that a user has successfully synchronised again so I am 100% sure avast bein on or off makes the difference.

Thanks for any help.

CharleyO

Re: Delayed Write Failures
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »

Welcome to the forums, vtloon.   :)

Did you remove symantec and if so, how was it removed?

vtloon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »
Symantec was removed using the Add/Remove in XP, There is now only LiveUpdate in the control panel.

Avast is reported by XP Security centre as the Active anti-virus protection.

I have had Avast disabled since I posted my original message and all has been well until today when I rebooted and forgot to disable it, then when a user tried to sync I got the delayed write failed error again.

Any more info required just let me know.  8)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »
Windows HDD drivers should be able to manage network writes without reporting "Delayed Write Failure". Does the host XP machine have sub-windows (e.g. in BIOS) software RAID?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

vtloon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
Hi Vladimyr, I can't get into the bios at the moment as I can only restart the machine at certain times of the day but when I can get into it I will see what I can find.. although I'm not familiar with RAID thingamabobs :)

If i look at the properties within windows of the hard disk it doesn't let me change it from being optimized for performance (write caching enabled).

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:35:03 PM »

Symantec was removed using the Add/Remove in XP, There is now only LiveUpdate in the control panel.

Add/remove programs is not enough. You will also need to download the proper removal tool for your version of Symantec from their website.
Otherwise, avast (nor any other av service) will not work correctly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:36:45 AM »
Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.

Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

vtloon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:51:11 AM »
Thanks for the tips.. I'll try that today :D

Appreciate the help so far.

Graeme

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:46:14 PM »