Author Topic: Outlook 2000: Mail Protection  (Read 3174 times)

Steele

Outlook 2000: Mail Protection
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:45:02 PM »
I just installed Outlook 2000 from Office 2000 Premium on Windows XP Pro SP1a.

I then set up my pop8 account and exited the program... ran avast for the first time (a new PC setup) and it did not automatically set up protection for that Outlook account...but it DID for my Mozilla mail account?? Usually.... it's the other way around.  ???

I tried sending/recieving mail through Outlook but the e-mail does not seem to go through the avast servers. (no icon...no x-antivirus line) So I manually added the info replacing the smtp and pop8 lines with 127.0.0.1 It's now scanning.

Am I good to go now??  :P
I have missed Outlook 2000 and have switched back.  ;D

I'm also not sure why after I ran the mail wizzard why it set up everything for Mozilla and not Outlook 2000? It did not even touch my Outlook settings.

Also.... why is the Outlook/Exchange plugin not running at startup...but only rather when I START Outlook? The Internet Mail plugin is always running...?

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 10:46:16 PM by Steele »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Outlook 2000: Mail Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:54:09 PM »
Remember, Outlook is covered by the Outlook/Exchange provider, so as far as you see the avast Outlook/Exchange splash screen when starting Outlook, you should be OK.

Now I remember -- it's possible that the plugin actually didn't get registered because at the time you were installing avast, Outlook was not on your machine. In that case, it might help (besides reinstalling avast) to go to the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and first remove the Outlook/Exchange avast provider and then reinstall it back...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Steele

Re:Outlook 2000: Mail Protection
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 11:07:54 PM »
VLK: Thanks for the speedy responce.  :)

I installed Avast AFTER Outlook 2000. I do see the splash screen too during each load.

What I did not see was the usual little tray icon appear when click send/recieve. The Outlook/Exchange provider IS showing my recent mail download history when I open avasts last scanned file for this provider.... but all that was not configured....was the "youraccount#127.0.0.1" then the 127.0.0.1 for pop8 incomming and the same for smtp1 outgoing. They were all untouched by the mail wizzard when Avast was first installed to configure my Outlook 2000 mail settings...and when I clicked the option to protect new accounts.

Is it supposed to? It always did when I used Outlook Express. No biggie.  :)
I hope I'm okay now?  ???
It did only AFTER I added the manual 127.0.0.1 address into my mail settings.

I guess since I''m seeing the splash screen appear when I run Outlook 2000...and that I can see 5 out of 5 resident providers working (Outlook/Exchange) that it is working.

All I needed to do was add Avasts e-mail server address into my own settings. I was just baffled that Mozilla mail actually configured itself automatically and Outlook failed!  :D

For me...it's always the other way around... At least when I use Outlook Express.

It's cool to do this manualy!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 11:18:45 PM by Steele »