Author Topic: Not a big problem  (Read 4196 times)

larsson

Not a big problem
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
Everything working fine with Home Edition, XP SP3. But when starting Avast, the program will not continue after memory test. I have to make another start of Avast and then the splash screen appear. Same with all skins etc but will happen only once per logging session. Reinstall makes no difference. Using Comodo Firewall + BOClean + Windows Defender in realtime mode.
I have searched the forum for earlier topics in this matter but found nothing. Anyone have a clue?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:29:43 PM by larsson »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Not a big problem
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »
Are you using Site Advisor? Right now, seems that both avast and Site Advisor are not fully compatible.
The best things in life are free.

larsson

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
Thanks prompt reply. No, I´m not using Site Advisor. Everything running smooth, just this little annoying thing...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
Looks like something on your system is interfering with the skin function.

1. Can you run it directly from C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe ?
2. If not try C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimp2.exe ?
3. Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. Now try running as you did before or with 1 above.

You could try this if 1 above and the repair doesn't work but 2 does, although you don't say if you are getting any errors ?
About the "usigetskin failed" issue, if the avast! repair does not solve it:
You will have to register ACTSKIN4.OCX
Follow the instructions:

Select START -> RUN...
Enter the following command:

If you have Windows XP/Vista:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
Press OK (or Enter).

A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear...

For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system. As a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem. Program Settings, Common, and uncheck any option with skins mentioned (see image, avast-no-skin).
If you are unable to access the above you can do this manually. To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry: StartWithSkin=0

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:39:39 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
Everything running smooth, just this little annoying thing...

Strange, are you using the latest stable version 4.8.1229 or the latest beta 4.8.1266?

A friend mention a similar problem, I will visit him tomorrow and try to track down the problem.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

larsson

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
Running stable version ....1229.

No error message etc. Just have to make the start twice.

Starting ashSimpl.exe and ashSimp2.exe from Explorer makes no difference. Repairing/re-installation; same behavior.

Also my correction: This happens only one time per boot.

After starting the second time Simple Interface working normal every effort to start Avast.

Guess this is due to some software installed in my pc (?)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
Can you please check in the Task Manager if the first instance of the process is actually in the process list (even though it displays no UI)?

It would probably be helpful if you could provide us with a dump of the hung process, too.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

larsson

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »
ashSimpl.exe is running in Taskmanager. Being a newbie I´m not sure how to produce a suitable dump, but will submit a file produced by SIW (System Information for Windows)