Author Topic: Move to chest  (Read 23640 times)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Move to chest
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
I am not familiar with the s program so i don't know how to attach it to an email. 

What is your mail program? (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or maybe you are using a webmail account like Yahoo or Gmail?)

Start your mailprogram, write a new mail, and attach the zipfile to the mail.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:54:34 AM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

KevinB12

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
I am not sure how to zip a file using the 7zip program.

I use outlook and it is blocking the file because of a possible unsafe condition.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 01:37:08 PM »

I use outlook and it is blocking the file because of a possible unsafe condition.

Right click on the file and choose 7-zip -> Compress and email , and on the window that appear you can choose a password for the zip file.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »

Do you mean MS Outlook or Outlook Express as they are totally different, but they are both the pits when it comes to draconian measures that they say protects against malware. They don't allow certain file types to be attached, believe it or not .zip files are one such type (I don't know if that includes .7z), .exe only because they 'could' contain viruses, which is absolutely pathetic.

In Outlook Express 6 from the Tools, Options, Security tab, uncheck the 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus,' see image. Talk about pathetic, no checking for actual viruses, or consideration that your AV checks or that you might just know what you are doing, just a blanket ban on what they consider suspect file types.

Now it you are using MS Outlook, you will have to try and find the equivalent option in MS Outlook.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

KevinB12

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 12:05:52 AM »
How do I know if Avast received my email and how long does it take to evaluate the suspicious file?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:26 AM »
You will not normally receive a reply unless they require mor information.

Periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even if you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can restore the file from the chest and or also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

KevinB12

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 01:38:02 AM »
When I perform a scan now, I get alerted that there is a virus in the c:\suspect folder, so I moved that to the chest.  Right now I have one C:\windows with the infected file and two C:\Suspect with the infected file in the chest.  I also have four c:\System Volume Information\_restore files there.  Can I delete the two C:\suspect and the four system volume files?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 02:38:12 AM »
Well firstly the whole idea of the suspect folder was that you excluded that and its contents from scans so you could work with then (upload to virustotal, zip, email to avast, etc.) without avast alerting.

If the suspect file was previously undetected and now it is detected allow it to be moved to the chest on detection, leave files in the chest for three weeks, scan them again and if still detected then delete them from scans.

There really is no rush to delete from the chest and short cutting the above suggestion isn't to be advised.