Author Topic: Playon MediaMallServer.exe  (Read 11799 times)

mgross029

Playon MediaMallServer.exe
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:24:09 AM »
Can anyone tell me how I can exclude this software from being limited by the Standard Shield?  This is media streaming software that streams from Hulu, Netflix, CBS, ESPN and then I can extend it to my TV via the Xbox360...  But as long as the Standard Shield is up and running I am unable to connect or stream any of the media...  I have tried to add it to the excluded items but that did not seem to work...  Anyone with any ideas would greatly be appreciated...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Playon MediaMallServer.exe
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb.
If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

mgross029

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:11:41 PM »
I scanned the file and it does not show any alerts...  I also have added it to the excluded list on the Standard Shield...  I will still not allow me to stream using the software.  If there is nothing that can be done from the AV side maybe it has to be done on the program side...  I have left a post on their forum site as well...  If you have anymore ideas please let me know...  Thanks...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »
Streams aren't really controlled by the Standard Shield, but come through the Web Shield. Now there are some streams that have non-standard use of the HTTP ports to stream and the web shield is expecting standard HTTP Protocol through port 80.

Try this for one of the problematic streams, if that works add the others one at a time.

Open the Web Shield provider, Customize, Basic tab, Ignored addresses: add the IP address (not domain name), e.g. 123.123.1213.123, to the input window, separate multiple IP addresses with commas.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mgross029

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:44:02 AM »
Thanks!  I think that worked...  So far so good...  I put all of the IP addresses from the various sites (i.e. Hulu, CBS, Youtube,Netflix) plus I added a couple of ports I found after searching some on the web...  7780 for RSS feeds and 3389 which is a port that is being used by the mediamallserver.exe app...  Appreciate everyones assistance...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
Don't put every site on here unless you specifically experience a problem with streaming content.

Don't put on anything that uses a port number other than port 80 as that is the only port the web shield monitors, so those feeds shouldn't really be a problem.

Ports other than port 80 are not monitored by the web shield and it would be expecting HTTP protocol and not say RSS protocol, so I'm not entirely sure how the web shield even gets involved in this if it is using these ports.

I also don't understand how you have added these ports (or where ?) as I'm not sure the Ignored address goes to port level or if it even takes any notice of them as it doesn't monitor them by default anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security