Author Topic: MS Malicious software removal tool update crashes w/ avast  (Read 10680 times)

sdsurratt

MS Malicious software removal tool update crashes w/ avast
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »
Starting with the July  version, the MS Malicious Software Removal tool update conflicts with Avast 4 Home on a winXP pro computer.

In Aug, the computer was crashing (sudden Reboot) just after start. Eventually I traced that to Avast.

Before I discovered the Avast issue, If the computer ran long enough to shut down, and I tried to let the Malicious software removal tool update run then crash and reboot. After removing Avast I was able to run the update successfully. I then reinstalled Avast andeverthing worked great until the August update, then same crash and reboot until I suspended Avast.
 For the next couple of updates, I was able to just suspend Avast while the update was running, but to get the October version (plus another update) to install I had to remove Avast, run the update, and then reinstall Avast.  The process works, but I really don't want to have to do that month after month.

Any suggestions?

Stan
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:12:04 PM by sdsurratt »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: MS Malicious software removal too update crashes w/ avast
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
Personally if it came to downloading and running the MS malicious software removal and having to uninstall avast I know what would be my choice. I don't download the  MS malicious software removal tool, I trust the applications I have on my system (see signature) to protect my system without having to download this tool. As a dial-up user I'm pretty selective as to what I download.

I'm sure you aren't alone in downloading and running the MS malicious software removal tool, but you are certainly the first to report this problem on the forums that I have seen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »
Stan, on my XP Pro SP3 system I have not had a conflict with avast! Home and MS Malicious Software Removal tool.

What update of avast! Home are you running?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:02:59 AM »
Also reporting no problems with the MS Malicious Software Removal tool and avast on my XP Pro systems.  I have no reports from those I support on XP Home or Vista of any problems with this MS offering and avast. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:55:01 AM »
Not a problem both on XP and Vista systems...
Are you sure you're referring to the legit Microsoft program?
The best things in life are free.

dave08

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »
Good Day All

Windows XP pro SP2
Avast version 4.8.1229
VPS File Version 081106-0

First let me say thank you for Avast.

As you can see I am new to this forum but not to Avast and have been using it for a long time with no problems.

I to started to have problems with running Avast and windows updates though when it started I was not sure what the problem was, so I started testing.

After reading this thread I removed Avast and installed AVG and waited for the next update from MS with a Malicious Software Removal tool in it, ran the install, no problem.

I then un-installed AVG and re-installed Avast, just the other day MS sent out a Genuine Advantage update I ran the install and got the dreaded BSOD saying something about a bad_pool_ something or other, should have written it down.

I then in the Avast "Troubleshooting" disabled the "self-defense module" and ran the install of the Genuine Advantage update with no problem I then turned the self-defense module back on.

As a side note this all started back around August with the Malicious Software Removal tool update.

Any help with this would be great.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks
Dave G

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
dave08, it's strange... avast does not should mess the Windows Updates.
Which firewall do you use?
Maybe you should fully remove AVG with: http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools

dave08

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »
Hi Tech

I have no software firewall installed and the MS firewall is turned off I am only using the one in my router.

I will try the AVG software removal tool but the problem started before I installed AVG, Avast is the only AV I have run on this machine (about 3 years old) prior to my test install of AVG. My wife's machine is having the same problem and it started at the same time.

If you like I can post my start up items as listed by HijackThis.

Thanks
Dave G

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 02:56:21 AM »
I'm not an expert on them, but others could help you with it.

dave08

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »
I'm not an expert on them, but others could help you with it.

Tech

Instead of clogging up the forum with stuff that will, more than likely not help I think I will wait for the next MS update and post the info from the BSOD, unless you, or the avast team have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Dave G

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:08:05 PM »
Sorry dave08, I'm empty. I (fortunately) had no problems with the Microsoft tool update... On Vista Business SP1 32bits.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »
The only problem is MS automatically downloading the new WGA Update to my system without my express permission. I have windows updates set to notify but not download, being a dial-up user I want control over when this happens, so I was less than impressed to see it downloading without notification. That currently is the only problem I have with windows update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
Dave, please send me a couple of files from the \windows\minidump folder (the most recent ones, preferably).
Via email, please (see my forum profile for the address).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Avastfan1

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
Hello,

My question is how do you know when the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool has successfully completed?

I have had no conflicts between MS MSRT and Avast 4.8.1282. I am running Windows XP SP3.

However every month when I run the manual Window$ Update, and it downloads MS MSRT, I never know whether it's actually run or not.

Is there a log file or report?

Thanks!

Avastfan1

sdsurratt

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »
The November MSRT update crashes just like Octobers.

In response to a couple of replies, It is supposed to be a genuine copy XP Pro SP2. (I had a really bad result with SP3 on my laptop, so I have been hesitant to allow it on this computer unless I have a couple of days free just in case) It has passed the MS genuine advantage test. The only AV program that has ever been installed on it is AVAST Starting with whatever version was available 2 years ago, and currently has 4.8.1282.

I have not tried to remove Avast to run the Nov update. I am ignoring the update for now but am willing to try again if I can provide some meaningful data.

Stan Surratt