Author Topic: error 1006 (000003EE)  (Read 8379 times)

Roy Isr

error 1006 (000003EE)
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:26 AM »
Hi All,

I have just completed installing my new computer - Win XP pro, MSI motherboard.
When trying to install the Avast I keep getting the "error 1006 (000003EE)" message.
I tried several times to download the file and clear all internet temporary files but still getting this message...
Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Roy

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: error 1006 (000003EE)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
Hi Roy,
Googling the error number and looking at some of the responses suggests the download is corrupt. It's also suggestive of a type of firewall that seems to be associated with this; the nVidia Forceware access manager. (I've downloaded this myself, unintentionally, while updating nvidia drivers; it installs by default.)
I would suggest that if the above is true for you, uninstall the nvidia firewall, (other firewalls work OK here, including Comodo, Online Armour, Kerio etc, or XP's own firewall which only protects inbound though,) re-download the Avast installer file and try again.
The XP firewall is fine as a stopgap measure while downloading software from known safe sites. Some people use it all the time. I think most of us are happier with two-way protection, though.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Roy Isr

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »
Hi Roy,
Googling the error number and looking at some of the responses suggests the download is corrupt. It's also suggestive of a type of firewall that seems to be associated with this; the nVidia Forceware access manager. (I've downloaded this myself, unintentionally, while updating nvidia drivers; it installs by default.)
I would suggest that if the above is true for you, uninstall the nvidia firewall, (other firewalls work OK here, including Comodo, Online Armour, Kerio etc, or XP's own firewall which only protects inbound though,) re-download the Avast installer file and try again.
The XP firewall is fine as a stopgap measure while downloading software from known safe sites. Some people use it all the time. I think most of us are happier with two-way protection, though.

Hi Tarq,

First, thanks for the prompt replay!
Truth is that I am not sure if nVidia Forceware access manager was even installed on my computer. I will try to check this, but anyhow I am almost sure that the file I have downloaded is OK - I tried about 5 times to download it from the website but got the same error.
Should I find the nVidia software in the "Add/Remove" list?

Thanks for the assistance,
Roy

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:16:15 AM »
Sorry to take a while to come back.Been sleeping/working...You'd probably know if you had the nvidia firewall on your computer. It creates a desktop and a system tray icon. If oyu were to look in "add/remove programs", you might see an Nvidia entry relating to drivers. Don't uninstall that one. But if you see one that says anything like "firewall" or "access/forceware manager" let me know.
So it's probably something else.
What other software was installed prior to attempting to download Avast?
Can you confirm you attempted to download Avast from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html (If the home version)
Any download managers operating? Any other security applications active, or installed prior to downloading Avast? (eg, another AV that has been uninstalled?)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.