Author Topic: What does Microsoft Silverlight do?  (Read 25088 times)

Husk

What does Microsoft Silverlight do?
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
I just installed it but what does it actually do? It says lighting up the web? I can't notice any difference

onlysomeone

Re: What does Microsoft Silverlight do?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:57 PM »
silverlight is like flash (macromedia/adobe)

heres a site where you need silverlight and see what it can:
http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

yours
onlysomeone

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »
Basically is Microsoft's shot at taking some market share from Adobe's Flash
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
It does nothing on my system I won't install it, MS keeps asking me do I want to try it, when I visit the security download part of windows update.

As only something said it is like flash, but intended to be more powerful (but for me flash is a no no, dial-up takes to darn long to load), currently there really is little support for it on sites. However, because of its cross platform support and ability to allow users to use existing programming languages that are supported by .net framework (it comes with a stripped down version of .net), it will most certainly catch on.

When it does and has much wider web site use then it will be a must have it won't just be a shot at taking some of Adobe Flash market share, it could be a flash killer ultimately, as it has much greater functionality than Flash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverlight
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
The international, non-profit European Committee for Interoperable Systems has voiced concerns that with Silverlight Microsoft aims to introduce content on the web that can only be accessed from the Windows platform. They argue that use of XAML in Silverlight is positioned to replace the cross-platform HTML standard. Effectively, if Silverlight usage becomes widespread enough, users will risk having to purchase Microsoft products to access web content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverlight

Ho hum.  ::)
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:45:13 PM »
So much for their cross platform hype then, Ho hum too  :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

graham.lv

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »

What does Microsoft Silverlight do?

I've always found it does bugger all. ???  Lost count of the downloads and installs. 

Did get it "to work" on IE8 beta 2, but it's as slow as old 56K dial-up.  Suppose to be MS trying to outdo flash..  Flash ads =or= silverlight ads?  Kill them both! ;D

Does not work at all with my primary browser, which is Firefox 3.0.3.  (Or any Firefox versions before that.)  It is installed though.

I think Microsoft must be living in the "cloud", or at least have their head there if they think this thing works.

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »
The international, non-profit European Committee for Interoperable Systems has voiced concerns that with Silverlight Microsoft aims to introduce content on the web that can only be accessed from the Windows platform. They argue that use of XAML in Silverlight is positioned to replace the cross-platform HTML standard. Effectively, if Silverlight usage becomes widespread enough, users will risk having to purchase Microsoft products to access web content.

Hi all...

This does raise some concern for users of other operating systems such as Linux. ???

Best Regards...

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
I found an other site which use Silverlight and are in my opinion is worth seeing!

www.nokola.com

also i think that silverlight can be used as a "full homepage" not like flash which is just a part of the homepage - any
other mind?

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:42 PM »
I found an other site which use Silverlight and are in my opinion is worth seeing!

www.nokola.com

also i think that silverlight can be used as a "full homepage" not like flash which is just a part of the homepage - any
other mind?

Hi....

Nice visual effects. :)

I guess we'll see if Silverlight becomes a standard in web coding in the future.

Best Regards...

graham.lv

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:57:36 PM »

www.nokola.com

other mind?

Now I can see it!   www.nokola.com 

Previously I had been to the MS site where they had links to people showcasing Silverlight.  Most did not work and the few others where as slow as a dead dog..  This mob must have programmed it correctly.  Looks like a bugger to program by the code provided.  Guess you need to be a programmer.

Still don't know what good it is.. ???  Just Flash competition.. ???

Flash is being abused now by advertisers .. So bad, have to turn off.  Wait till they get Silverlight going ..  So, what's the point ??? ???  Raindrops on an image.. :o