Author Topic: Win32:Rootkit-gen infection on mycomput.dll --PLEASE HELP!!  (Read 4833 times)

Aleph2

Win32:Rootkit-gen infection on mycomput.dll --PLEASE HELP!!
« on: November 10, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »
Hi, everyone! I'm new here.

I'm on desperate need for help. I have 2 computers, one Samsung laptop, one HP desktop, both with Avast installed as antivirus protection. Yesterday evening, I performed on each of them an "on-boot" analysis with Avast; on the two of them, Avast detected Win32:Rootkit-gen infecting several locations:

a) on the both the HP and the Samsung, on a file named "mycomput.dll", located on two places:

C:\WINDOWS\system32

and

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

b) on the HP desktop, on the same two locations said above, as well as in folder named MYCOMPUT.DL_, located twice:

C:\WINDOWS\I386\MYCOMPUT.DL_

and

E:\I386\MYCOMPUT.DL_

Being system files, I hesitated before saying "yes" to "remove to virus chest" option.

Very BAD choice. When I logged in as administrator, the Computer Management Console on both PC's was screwed up. And, though both "mycomput.dll" files may be restored from the virus chest, none of the MYCOMPUT.DL_ folders can, and one of them happended to be on my desktop's restore partition (letter "E:"), so that partition got screwed up forever I guess (fortunately, I keep an external restore CD if I ever needed to reformat the hard drive of my HP - which I hope won't!).

Circumstantlal info of possible relevance: before performing Avast's analysis that rendered those positives, I had just performed a  frustrated update attempt of "Spybot-SD", which failed with warning mesage of "wrong checksum" and had to be repeated trying with another server (maybe the 1st server I tried was being hijacked??), this time successfully. It was inmediately thereafter that I left Avast performing analysis on both computers.

Today I have spent hours trying to restore both PC's to previous restore point I imagined were previous to my computer's infection; no success. Avast's "on-boot" analysis after restore point will give positive again on "mycomput.dll", exactly on the same locations.

I have tryed an analysis of the file on Jotty and at least 2 of the antiviruses gave a "Win32:Rootkit-gen" positive: "GData", and of course, Avast.

Most puzzling, though, is the fact that when I analyze the file on my PC, logged in as user and with Avast's context menu "fast scanner", it just won't detect anything. ¿A false positive?

For the moment I have stayed eith the restore point on which the Computer Management Console is operative, though the "mucomput.dll" is, supossedly, infected. I need help.

I don't know what to think or do, and I feel completely helpless with this rootkit infection on one of my operating system's files!! PLEASE I NEED HELP!!!

Thank you...

P.D. Could I just download a "mycomput.dll" file, put it in the places where it was located and somehow register it, after moving to chest the present ones that are infected? ¿would that work as a sollution?

Offline misak

• Personal page (CZE)
Re: Win32:Rootkit-gen infection on mycomput.dll --PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »
False positive alert will be fixed in next VPS update

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Aleph2.

Misak stated above this is a false positive which means your computers are not infected ... well, at least not from this particular problem.

Please make sure you are getting the updates so that this will be fixed for you.

Aleph2

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »
Thank you. It's such a relief to know it WAS a false positive... just couldn't figure out having to format both my PC's and rebuild my system settings form scratch in the two of them...

I have AVAST update in automatic mode and it normally updates some 2/3 times a day, so I hope it will be fixed already at this point - gonna give a try.

Thanks!!