Author Topic: how to insert notes that email was scanned?  (Read 7076 times)

asbaker

how to insert notes that email was scanned?
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:04:39 AM »
I'm brand new to Avast after using AVG for a long time. The manual mentions the ability to insert a note in incoming and outgoing email to state that it was scanned by Avast. But I can't figure out how to do that. There is no extra mail protection program in my XP home edition.

Sorry if this has been answered already but I've been searching for an hour :-)

asbaker

Re: how to insert notes that email was scanned?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »
I found it - sorry! I used the right words in google and found the way to do it.

It said "When sending an email from an email client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird..) left click the blue ball, select "Internet Mail" then click "Customize". Under the "SMTP" tab on the resident provider settings, insert a tick into the obvious checkbox." and it worked.

I wonder why the help that came with the Avast I downloaded today did not say that - only mentioning finding the extra program on mail protection that no longer ships with the program???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:41 AM »
It mentions...

Resident Protection: Internet Mail - SMTP

This page sets up avast! behavior when scanning the outgoing e-mails.

Scan outbound mail. avast! will scan outgoing e-mail messages sent by SMTP protocol.
Allow sending of infected mail. avast! will let you send the message containing a virus. It is useful e.g. when you want to send us an infected file for analysis.
Insert note into clean message. avast! adds a note into infected messages. If you set this option, a note will be added even into clean (virus-free) messages.

But you've found another way to ask, the forums ;)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:26:15 AM »
The avast Help file does mention it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

asbaker

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:07:02 AM »
I saw that in the help file but it just was not clear that I had to left click the icon and go to internet mail.

But, as someone here said, I have you all to help when I'm fuzzy on something. And maybe my post will help someone else understand better (that is the teacher in me!).

Anyway, thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

graham.lv

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 01:37:26 AM »

How does that work with Windows Live Mail. ???

Live Mail now removes Windows Mail from the computer.  Vista SP1.

I do miss the AVG message on incoming/outgoing emails about being scanned - and virus database number and if it's up-to-date.

See a lot of people are ditching AVG now - it's really gone off. 

Avast! can expect to pick up another 80 million users eventually! :D ;D ;) 8)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:58:21 AM »
Well you don't give much to work on ;D

The Internet Mail provider does scan Windows Live Mail, provided that email comes through a regular pop3 account and not SSL/TLS (secure encrypted) email, or say downloaded from a Hotmail web based email account through Windows Live Mail as that doesn't use standard POP3 protocol and as such wouldn't be scanned.

Check the Internet Mail detailed view and the Last scanned: and Scanned count: fields should be changing. There should be an email icon in the system tray whilst scanning is in progress the avast icon will rotate. You can also check the email headers to see that emails are scanned or you could insert clean notes, etc. Internet Mail, Customize, POP2/SMTP tabs, Insert clean note into message. So more indications than you can shake a stick at to check the email is being scanned.

graham.lv

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure I don't have the e-mail icon. So many things pop-up these days ...

I've got the blue ball 'a' for avast, plus a blue ball 'i' for VRDB that goes crazy sometimes - working on recovery I guess.

No, I don't have a 'pop' e-mail account anymore as I am with Vodafone (Aust) wireless broadband and they don't provide e-mail services.  It's tacked on the side of the mobile phone towers, after all.  ;D

So, Microsoft Windows Live Mail is Hotmail would you believe. I've been forced to join the 'cloud'.  MS silently 'removed' Windows Mail from my PC, the folder is empty!!!  Windows Seven will only have Live Mail aka Hot mail I believe.

So, maybe I'm scanned - and - maybe I'm not scanned.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »
Please see this thread.

Since your Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail is not being scanned you will not see the icon in the tray.

Windows Mail in Vista was a dead end development to replace Outlook Express for Vista only.  The same team went on to create the real replacement for Outlook Express - Windows Live Mail.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »
No, windows live mail is the email client (program), Hotmail isn't an email client but a webmail service, usually viewed using your browser.

What are the email addresses that you get your email sent to (e.g. how you received a) your avast registration key b) what you have setup for the forums email address), don't put the first part, just the @domain-name.com bit that is your email server and where your email is stored and retrieved from using an email client, windows live mail in your case.

graham.lv

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 06:30:44 AM »
Yes, Windows Live Mail is the mail client in my PC - and Hotmail is on the Net - an exact copy.

@hotmail.com
W89775849H6100A1106
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v1.0.0/sync.aspx
Windows Live Mail (on machine)
Hotmail (on Net)
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail

To get to Hotmail online there is a username and password.

It would just be a matter of Avast! checking C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail in/out wouldn't it?  I think avg had intermediary folders in/out in the programs structure.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 06:54:59 AM »
AVG is no more able to scan Hotmail in Windows Live Mail than avast.

The DeltaSync access method used in Windows Live Mail for Hotmail is secure and proprietary to Microsoft; it is not an email access method at all and cannot be scanned by any service. This will not change anytime soon.

avast (and AVG) have not got a clue which email client you use - both rely on the fact that all email clients have to use the standard POP/SMTP protocols on unsecured ports 110/25 to scan the activity on those ports.  If you use secure ports for POP/SMTP then avast cannot scan them. 

To give credit to AVG they did provide in 7.5 a (horribly designed) method of handling secure connections rather similar to the method for handling Webmail to POP converters (ie allowing Hotmail and Yahoo to be used in email clients by functions like YPops, FreePops and the Webmail extensions of Thunderbird).  This was where the "intermediary structures" - really mail proxies were involved.  To perform the same scans with avast presently then a third party program STunnel is need to manage the secure connections and allow avast to scan the mail.  The avast team have advised that the management of the secure connections will be incorporated in the next major release of avast.

It still will not be able to scan the DeltaSync connections of Hotmail in Windows Live Mail (just as AVG will not). 

In the meantime - I have every one of my Hotmail accounts downloaded/sent to/from my Thunderbird email client by the Webmail extensions of Thunderbird and scanned by avast.  It does not provide the IMAP like services of Hotmail in Windows Live mail - but it does fine for me and the folks I support.         
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:04:37 AM by alanrf »

graham.lv

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »

Right, thanks.  I best be careful then.

I did have Telstra/Bigpond 3G wireless broadband that did provide a 'pop' service as well as using AVG 7.5, but changed to Vodafone wireless broadband.  BigPond $79.95 for 1 GB up/down per month and Voda at $39.95 for 5 GB up/down per month.

Have little e-mail and mostly subscriptions to newsletters.

They may (probably do) run some scan at Hotmail?  Very good at blocking spam.

PS.  I pay my internet account at the Post Office in cash. So still don't need the Phishing filter.  ;D

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
To me Hotmail has done a pretty good job of filtering spam and other nasties.  In fact they have been a bit over the top and have simply thrown away quite a lot of genuine email (but it has been a little while since I worked with anyone experiencing that over zealous approach of Hotmail though). 

These days I find in my test accounts that Yahoo lets through the most spam, Gmail very little and Hotmail almost none.