Author Topic: Port 25  (Read 4363 times)

vaughnh

Port 25
« on: April 19, 2004, 07:46:30 PM »
Hey guys,
I get the port 25 conflict message at startup.  I do want to scan outgoing messages, so how do I change Avast to eliminate this message and to check outgoing messages,
Thanks
Vaughn

seand

Re:Port 25
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 11:25:08 PM »
Hi Vaughnh, this is from a "newbie" but it seems like you already have another mail proxy running on port 25.  I use Spampal to in conjunction with avast and was able to delete that port in the Spampal config. and then everything worked fine.

I am not sure what other program you might be running but perhaps you can check your startup programs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 04:27:14 AM »
You can use TCPView to enumerate all active TCP and UDP endpoints, resolving all IP addresses to their domain name versions. Shows Ports numbers. On Windows XP, TCPView shows the name of the process that owns each endpoint. Endpoints that change state from one update to the next are highlighted in yellow; those that are deleted are shown in red, and new endpoints are shown in green.

[Edit]: See http://www.sysinternals.com

So you will be able to find what program is using the port 25.
Hope this help.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 03:55:17 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

vaughnh

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 06:07:23 PM »
Hi Technical, thanks for your response.  A couple of things.....
1.  The URL link you gave me is a 403 forbidden link i.e. I can't get in.
2.  I know that port 25 is used by Outlook, could that be what Avast is objecting to--wouldn't seem like it since that is it's job.
3.  I'm on a W2K system, never heard of TCPView.  Where do I find it?

Thanks again. :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 03:59:15 PM »
1.  The URL link you gave me is a 403 forbidden link i.e. I can't get in.

Sorry, I edited it.

2.  I know that port 25 is used by Outlook, could that be what Avast is objecting to--wouldn't seem like it since that is it's job.

Maybe you can see your avast4.ini file settings for [MailScanner] section. I posted a 'sticky' topic that you will find easy at the first page of the forum board. Outlook and avast must use the same port. But no other program like a spam killer may use it at the same time.

3.  I'm on a W2K system, never heard of TCPView.  Where do I find it?

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 04:02:44 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.