Author Topic: help with deleted files  (Read 1855 times)

frannie.m

help with deleted files
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:41:16 AM »
hi everyone. When rebooting after install of free version of Avast, an initial scan ran and came up with loads of infected files. I chose to simply press the delete button each time,but then realised this might not be good idea.  After that i chose to ignore them.  Now I am having problems with my sage software, it crashes each time i try to print something. I am assuming this is because i might have deleted some important files.  If this is case, what shall i do.  Thanks Fran

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: help with deleted files
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »
Try a boot time scan with avast! Right click the scanner screen, select 'schedule a boot time scan' and reboot when requested. (Or open the tab at the top left of the scanner screen and select the boot time option from there.)

Always select the option to quarantine (move to the 'Chest') any malware found rather than delete it, then you will be able to restore files or registry entries wrongly identified as malware- a rare but not unknown event for any malware scanner.

If avast! has mistaken a component of Sage as malware in the previous scan, you may need to reinstall the software as you did not quarantine the files detected.

As there is still malware on your computer, I think the priority is to remove it- run that boot time scan.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: help with deleted files
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »
Send files to Chest is wiser than direct deletion as you can further investigate (scan it) and even restore them. Which was your old antivirus (before avast) and how did you uninstall it?
The best things in life are free.