Author Topic: Possible Solution to the Scan 00005 Error Message  (Read 3727 times)

jfortune

Possible Solution to the Scan 00005 Error Message
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »
Like many folks in these forums, I was receiving many error messages in the Event log that had an error code of 00005.  I was doing a mirror of files from another computer (across the network) and kept getting these errors among other strange behavior, including computer reboots.  Turns out a few the file names (including path) were longer than 254 characters -- I zipped the offending directory to get the overall name length down below 254 and all is working now with no Avast! complaints and no reboots.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Possible Solution to the Scan 00005 Error Message
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »
Error 5 is access denied... maybe not logged with enough privileges...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
Reboots??
For a reboot (bluescreen), the corresponding minidump file should be created in Windows\Minidump folder. Could you please send us a few of the recent ones?
Thanks.

jfortune

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:22:12 AM »
Sorry, I cleaned up the Minidumps awhile ago.  Some of the 0005 errors are back.  What they all seem to have in common is underscores in the filename.  I think it has something to do with filename lengths, characters or something along those lines.  I have plenty of privs since other files have no issues and ultimately the mirror works.  I can say that I've had no rebooting problems since reducing the filename to < 255 chars.  There was no bluescreen, just a reboot -- something just jumped to address 0.  I'm not entirely sure Avast is responsible for the reboots -- I disabled avast at one point and still got the reboots.

Here's an example of an error, all the ones I checked had the underscores in the filename:
AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of \\Anna\Mirror\Jim-Mirror\D-Drive\www\rbd\vieleRETS-1.1.4\setup\SBSE____.VB0 failed, 00000005. 

TheSpirit

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:58:48 AM »
I posted about the same problem recently:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40288.0

It could be a "long path" problem. Firefox paths tend to be (too) long.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
It could be a "long path" problem. Firefox paths tend to be (too) long.
I think there is a 256 characters limitation... I'm not sure.
The best things in life are free.