Author Topic: Avast Website Problems?  (Read 4634 times)

Starchilde

Avast Website Problems?
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »
Hey folks,

I was notified this morning that I was running out of time on my Avast home edition registration, so I followed the pop-up link to the Avast website to re-register.  It asked what I wanted to do with download file called "go.php" - I assumed (probably wrongly) that this was a simple .php webpage and had it run under Firefox.  It immediately started opening an infinite number of tabs.  I ended up having to go to the taskmanager to close it.  Anyway, after that I attempted to access the Avast website and all the browsers on my machine indicate that it either doesn't exist or is simply blank.  I've tried all the links under the Google listing for Avast but to no avail.  What's going on?

Any and all help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-Starchilde

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Website Problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »
Strange behavior indeed... maybe you're infected, your hosts file hijacked...
Go to the SSL page version and register from there: https://secure.avast.com/scripts/register.php?lang=ENG

See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Please take a look here: http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html
The best things in life are free.

Starchilde

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
Thank you for the incredibly quick response!

The SSL registration page worked perfectly, and I have been able to re-register without a problem.  However, the other two links you listed came up the same as all the other avast pages.  Specifically, Firefox shows a blank screen and IE states: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.  Most likely causes:  You are not connected to the Internet. The website is encountering problems. There might be a typing error in the address."  Needless to say, I am connected to the Internet, but I assume that everyone else is viewing the pages without any problem.  No other pages are giving me this problem.

I'm going to run a boot scan on my machine in a bit.  I'll report back the results when I get back online.

Again, thanks for all the help!

-Starchilde

Starchilde

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
Okay, so I ran Malwarebyte's anti-malware software while the system was up and running (nothing really important showed up).  This did not change anythign for the Avast website.  Then I executed a boot scan with Avast and again nothing important showed up.  However, now the Avast website displays properly.  I can only conclude that my system simply needed a reboot to fix the problem.

Well, at least I know my machine is clean!

Thanks for all the help folks!

-Starchilde

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:43:33 PM »
Thank you for the incredibly quick response!
Be used to avast forums speed ;)

The SSL registration page worked perfectly, and I have been able to re-register without a problem. 
Good.

However, the other two links you listed came up the same as all the other avast pages.
Bad... maybe something is messing your computer... I'll think about.

I can only conclude that my system simply needed a reboot to fix the problem.
Hmmm... sometimes... the easy way, the better.
The best things in life are free.