Author Topic: system32 folder opens on start up  (Read 7296 times)

simmo99

system32 folder opens on start up
« on: April 06, 2004, 04:21:15 AM »
I have tried everything that microsoft say to try (with regards to my pc opening the system 32 folder every time I log in) but to no avail so hopefully one of you guys can help?

It first happened after I repaired a system32.exe virus a few weeks ago and is now really bugging me.

Running xp home with all updates.

I've attached the regedit list as a jpeg if this helps.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 04:33:53 AM by simmo99 »

techie101

Re:system32 folder opens on start up
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 05:18:08 AM »
simmo,

Do you have a Dell system?

This problem is most likely caused by an unwanted registry entry.  These type of entries can be caused by an improper or incomplete program removal, or a virus that wrote to, or tried to write to the registry.

Firstly, are you using an anti-virus?  If so, which one?
Run a full virus scan
If you do not have an anti-virus.....I would run an online scan until I get one installed.

Secondly, are you using anti-spyware such as Adaware or Spybot SD?   If so, run them.
If not, get them.

Easiest way to determine the culprit is to examine the Startup list in MSconfig.  Shut down all the programs that you cannot positively identify and see if the problem still occurs.  If so, continue shutdowns until you only have only Stimon and Systray listed.  This should identify the "offending" line.  Once you have it, let me know what it reads and we can take corrective measures.

If this method fails, we will continue troubleshooting.

PS:  If you attached a jpeg of your regedit, it did not attach.

Let me know what your results are to the above.

Techie
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 05:26:48 AM by Techie101 »

simmo99

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 03:12:17 PM »
Techie,

I am using an EI System laptop, running avast, zone alarm, adaware and these are all up to date and I have ran them today.

I do not have stimon or systray in the regedit list.

simmo

whocares

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 05:50:41 PM »
with regards to my pc opening the system 32 folder every time I log in
Hi,

does there exist a previous posting on this by you ? if so, please post a link to it

did you try SPYBOT and RegCleaners ?

;)

simmo99

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 01:25:27 AM »
I've never posted anything before this.

I've now tried spybot and registry optimiser and still happening.  

techie101

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 05:35:44 AM »
simmo,

In looking over your Run file, I only see 2 items that might be the source of the problem.
Khooker and SiSusbrg.

I could not find anything on Sisusbrg, but did find this:

khooker
khooker.exe
SiS Keyboard Daemon. System Tray utility which gets installed by the drivers of the latter day SiS VGA cards. Can cause errors at startup and isn't required. Download Spybot Search and Destroy. Go to the start, all programs, click on Spybot, then open it in "Advanced mode". Click on "tools", then "System Startup." Find the khooker file highlight it and delete it

If you run MSConfig utility and go into Startup, look to see if it is listed.  If so, then uncheck it for now.  If it solves the problem, then follow the instructions above and delete it.

Let me know if this was effective.

Techie

simmo99

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 03:24:02 PM »
No this hasn't worked, I have tried doing as you say and the folder still opens on start up.  I am not sure whether to try disabling the sisusbrg do you think this will be okay to try?

simmo99

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 08:48:59 PM »
I have fixed the problem now.  Just incase anybody else is having the same problem here was the solution.

I downloaded a programme called startup organiser from download.com, when you run the programme click on the startup guard on the toolbar and it lists any problems that may have been caused by trojans or viruses.  My explorer start up had a red cross next to it, the software fixed it and now my Pc logs on with no problems.

(Although the software is on a 30 day trial I only used it for this problem and then removed it so never paid anything)