Author Topic: disabled always on  (Read 8794 times)

robles

Re: disabled always on
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
did it and only have the 4 i mentioned earlier.???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 11:23:15 PM »
Most certainly weird, I can't see how it is running but not listed in the Task Manager, I don't have any suggestions for that other than more questions.#

Is the web shield actually scanning anything, check the Last scanned: and Scanned total: fields in the web shield view (image I posted) these fields should constantly be changing ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What browser and firewall are you using ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robles

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »
when i left click on a it gives me the access scanner now (it is running and counting) i can't find the box with the web shield you showed me in above msg???

robles

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 12:04:22 AM »
i guess i was looking at res shield?? don't know how oh yes i do i'm a blonde. sorry. somehow the web shield was off noe i have 6 things in task mgr adding ashsimple,ashweb, sorry 4 the confusion but i am greatful u stuck with me as i probably would have been in trouble. thank-you so much

robles

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:26 AM »
i think i'm set now let me get this straight...all i have to do is update the program and the iavs about 1 a week?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 12:39:18 AM »
Just let avast take care of the updates.

Right click the "a" icon, click program settings. Click "update (basic)"
Set the top box to automatic and the bottom one to ask

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 12:50:01 AM »
when i left click on a it gives me the access scanner now (it is running and counting) i can't find the box with the web shield you showed me in above msg???

When you left click the avast icon, the window that pops-up, remember the Details... >> button I mentioned, if you don't click that you won't get the 'detailed' view in my image.

As oldman says, the default settings should automatically update the virus signatures.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robles

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 01:44:38 AM »
davidr i had avg and i believe i went through add/remove. i just have the windows firewall and i use ie and ff both. i sure do appreciate all the help from everyone. thank-you so much!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 02:35:39 AM »
Did you eventually find if ashWebSv.exe is actually running ?

####
It might be advisable to run the AVG Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one, just to make sure all remnants of it have gone.

####
Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.
See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.