Author Topic: Page File!  (Read 13711 times)

Alan Baxter

Re: Page File!
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
Actually if you go through the thread again you'll notice we provided links to 2 different utilites that measure page file usage. And read my sig Alan ... I'm on Vista ;)
You mean two utilities in addition to the one I mentioned? ;)  And sorry, I didn't know you're on Vista.  I have display of sigs turned off.  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to make of your screenshot.  Is there any reason to believe that Vista's report of page file usage is any less misleading than XP's?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
Well i don't know, every util i ran so far over here confirms what task manager is saying. So either they are all lying or those really are the real figures.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 10:34:47 PM »
Sorry, darth_mikey.  They're all misleading you.  They're just regurgitating the same mislabeled and misleading numbers that the XP Task Manager does.  I just installed "Show Memory", and it isn't any better than the XP Task Manager.  http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm is the only utility I know of that gives the actual page file usage on XP.  I don't know what to recommend for a Vista user.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »
Yeah i just realized that "show memory"(haven't even used it till now) shows the virtual memory usage(page file + used ram), my bad should have checked. Same as task manager then, to got to the actual number of used pagefile you need to do a little calculating. Virtual Memory used - Ram in use and you get the number you wanted. I think i used SIW to check this but i could be wrong, i have to check. But i think it was SIW.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 11:07:40 PM »
Confirmed, SIW shows the REAL page file usage. Great little program. http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html (the freeware version will do just fine and it runs on Vista).

EDIT: Screenshot added ...  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:10:44 PM by darth_mikey »

Alan Baxter

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »
Cool!  Confirmed on XP as well.  Thank you for turning me on to it!  ;D

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:27 PM »
Yeah no problem at all. Though i have had this installed in the past(when i was still on 32bit Vista ;D ) i haven't used it for quite awhile now since there was no real need and i completely forgot about it. It really is a great program and the free version has plenty of features. Great replacement for the old Everest home edition on Vista. Another great freebie is PC Wizard in case someone is searching for a free system info utility.

Cheers !