Author Topic: IBM: Avoid using Internet Explorer browser!  (Read 24714 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
IBM: Avoid using Internet Explorer browser!
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

IBM: Avoid using Internet Explorer

No longer the Operational System, but unpatched browsers and additional plugins
are the main reason many users get malware infected.
Especially PDF-files are the vector of choice to perform attacks.
Most hacker toolkits have several PDF exploits,
like is demonstrated in this video by IBM: http://blogs.iss.net/archive/MaliciousPDF.html
 "Because of the ease and the interaction,
infecting a system through the browser and
active browser plugins has increased manyfold",
according to Internet Security System's John Kuhn, Security System is IBM's security branch.

He does not expect a secure browser to appear for a long time.
"But using a browser without using ActiveX
will enhance security drastically."
Kuhn is fearful that because of the financial crisis a lot of IT people will
seek to earn some additional fees through malicious websites,

polonus
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:31:13 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

YoKenny

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: IBM: Avoid using Internet Explorer browser!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:17 PM »
Well this is the kind of  reaction you can expect for just passing such a link, it stirs up controversy, where in real terms it is an overall general browser story. Because of what the user experience should be, browsers are not being developed especially with security in mind.
ActiveX and BHO's were a misconception from the word go, no two ways about it. PDF handling inside a browser as with Adobe is insecure, PDF Download, other than inside a browser is better.
And Microsoft itself states that the OS is not at the culprit of infection, the browser is, and third party software are, and that because of developers.
Why do I use NoScript inside Firefox? Because it protects me. Why do I pre-scan hyperlinks? Because there are malware ridden sites around, etc. etc.,

polonus

Avastfan1

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
Hello Polonus,

How do you pre-scan hyperlinks? What program/software/website do you use?

Thanks for providing all the great anti-malware information it really is very helpful indeed!

I also use Noscript within Firefox, here's my setup and I would be very keen for any comments, suggestions or criticism!

Thanks in advance,

Avastfan1

My Setup:
- Windows XP SP3 fully patched
- Avast Pro 4.8.1229
- ZoneAlarm Pro 8.0.059.000
- Firefox 3.0.3 (ONLY use Shiternet Explorer for M$ Window$ Update)
- Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5
- NoScript 1.8.4.1
- McAffee SiteAdvisor Plugin 26.6
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30 (not-resident used only on demand)
- A-squared 3.5.0.27 (not-resident used only on demand)
- AVG Anti-spyware  (not-resident used only on demand)
- Hijackthis (useful to evaluate a log occasionally)
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware (not-resident used only on demand)
- Spybot 1.6.30  (not-resident used only on demand)
- SUPERAntiSpyware 4.15.1000  (not-resident used only on demand)
- F-Secure Blacklight  (not-resident used only on demand)
- Rootalyzer  (not-resident used only on demand)
- Java Runtime SE 6 Update 10
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36
- Adobe Shockwave Player 11.0.3.470
- Foxit Reader 2.3

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:30:33 PM »
Hi avastfan1,

In Firefox you can use the search engine scandoo.com. This will give you a clue as the security of the search links. For scanning in realtime hyperlinks against malware use this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/938 The hyperlink can be checked against Dr.Web anti-virus link checker via this Firefox add-on, use it. If something found, do not click period, and then check here: http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.aspx
I also have this installed and like it better than MacAfee Site-Advisor or WOT, finjan for firefox Secure browsing: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4892
As the browser is becoming the malware vector of choice, in-browser additional security is what we all depend upon for a more secure Internet experience,

greets,

polonus

Nice set-up you have there, check on it with Secunia PSI (RC4) that addresses all your insecure software on your computer, and what you can do to get a latest version or patch: http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe
Have it sitting there next to your firewall and it keeps an eye on all your critical software whether it has the latest versions and patches,

Damian

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »

I've been using ScanDoo since it was first mentioned on this forum and it works very well for this purpose.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Hi CharleyO,

Yes and you can add scandoo.com to your search engines in Firefox or Flock, Scandoo is designed to give you advanced warning – before you click – by scanning content in real-time. In addition we continually update our ratings based on your feedback and rely on our community of users to help protect each other.
And the search results are Google's, finjan is doing something similar: finjan SecureBrowsing accesses each of the URLs in its current form on the web, and scans the relevant pages in real time using Finjan's patented behavior-based technology. Finjan SecureBrowsing then displays a safety rating next to each link it has scanned. So together with Dr.Web's av hyperlink checker there is actually no excuse going to a malware link or it must be a zero day of the worst sort, so also use the resources in between the keyboard and the computer. And you CharleyO, thanks for reporting your positive experiences,

polonus

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »

No problem Polonus -

In fact, I not only check links through ScanDoo, but I also do all my searches through ScanDoo/google so that any bad links will be visible. I do a lot of searching to find helpful information while at this forum and some of the things I search for could easily lead me to bad links. Thanks to ScanDoo, I can avoid these bad links.

Avastfan1

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »
Hi Polonus,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply!

Does the Finjan plug-in work properly if you have Noscript set to block google.com?

I downloaded and installed the Finjan plug-in however when I do a google search the little icons next to the left of each search result just 'spin' around like a wheel.

I set Noscript to allow google.com and they all appeared correctly as ticks.

I would prefer not to allow google.com as I think this contains google analytics.....

The Dr. Web plug-in is working fine and I shall have a look at the Secunia program tomorrow.

Thanks again for the information, I keenly await your expert advice with the Finjan question :)

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
With NoScript you can both allow google.com and deny googleanalytics for the search results place. NoScript is so versatile it allows you to do this. I always leave NoScript on and allow google.com temporarily if I want further functionality per page (in case I know the place, been there and know it is secure to do so). For other content I do it with a douible click on the NoScript icon in case for Flash content or playing a video (if you want so you can pre-scan the links before doing this with DrWeb's plug-in).
If you are using Firefox, CustomizeGoogle extension lets you block all Google Analytics cookies, on any website. Using this feature makes you more anonymous. But your visit on a single webpage can still be logged in case you allow googleanalytics through NoScript, and why should you?) This way, both Google and the owner of the website knows that someone visited a webpage, but it's difficult to track all pages you're visiting.

Hope this answers your question,

polonus
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:45:04 PM by polonus »

safetynut

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »
I have tried to avoid using IE and use Firefox instead. However, the only way to get Windows OS updated is via IE, so I have to use it for that if nothing else.

But recently I’ve been in IE more than I wanted because I’ve been trying to get info on updates for both Windows OS and Office 2003 that keep failing to install after they’re downloaded. (Is it just me, or is trying to find info on Microsoft’s website like being caught in one gigantic KB loop??)

Anyway, how can you avoid IE if you must get Windows OS updates and Office updates?

safetynut

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:19:31 AM »
Does anyone know how to avoid using IE if you need to get Windows and Office updates?

Thanks.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »
Most of the time, it isn't the browser you use but where you browse that get you in trouble.
I use a combination of browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome without
any problems or worries of getting infected.  :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

twl845

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 02:03:20 AM »
Hello Polonus,

How do you pre-scan hyperlinks? What program/software/website do you use?

Thanks for providing all the great anti-malware information it really is very helpful indeed!

I also use Noscript within Firefox, here's my setup and I would be very keen for any comments, suggestions or criticism!

Thanks in advance,

Avastfan1

My Setup:
- Windows XP SP3 fully patched
- Avast Pro 4.8.1229
- ZoneAlarm Pro 8.0.059.000
- Firefox 3.0.3 (ONLY use Shiternet Explorer for M$ Window$ Update)
- Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5
- NoScript 1.8.4.1
- McAffee SiteAdvisor Plugin 26.6
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30 (not-resident used only on demand)
- A-squared 3.5.0.27 (not-resident used only on demand)
- AVG Anti-spyware  (not-resident used only on demand)
- Hijackthis (useful to evaluate a log occasionally)
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware (not-resident used only on demand)
- Spybot 1.6.30  (not-resident used only on demand)
- SUPERAntiSpyware 4.15.1000  (not-resident used only on demand)
- F-Secure Blacklight  (not-resident used only on demand)
- Rootalyzer  (not-resident used only on demand)
- Java Runtime SE 6 Update 10
- Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36
- Adobe Shockwave Player 11.0.3.470
- Foxit Reader 2.3
Hi Avastfan1, I see you keep IE just for MS updates. I have made FF my default browser, and get my MS updates just fine. If I may comment on your anti-spyware selections, I think you have way too many. One real time and one on demand plus SpywareBlaster in the background, would be enough for me. May I suggest dumping AVG which has been done away with in favor of a suite, and AD-Aware which basically only finds adware.  :)

VikingBabe

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »
I have McAfee SiteAdvisor installed.  As a guide, I have found it useful while using a search engine but it does have its limitations.  So Finjan is better?  Could it be used in concert with SiteAdvisor or need this be uninstalled?