Author Topic: IBM: Avoid using Internet Explorer browser!  (Read 24712 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: IBM: Avoid using Internet Explorer browser!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »
I have McAfee SiteAdvisor installed.  As a guide, I have found it useful while using a search engine but it does have its limitations.  So Finjan is better?  Could it be used in concert with SiteAdvisor or need this be uninstalled?
I think Finjan works better, more accuracy.
You can work with both of them but, probably, browser speed will be compromised.
The best things in life are free.

VikingBabe

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 04:40:41 AM »
Thank you.  I will try it then.

safetynut

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
bob3160:
Having learned the hard way, I am very careful when using IE. I strictly use it for Microsoft and Windows updates—except that some of those updates keep failing.

twl845:
In re: “I see you keep IE just for MS updates. I have made FF my default browser, and get my MS updates just fine.”

Here is a quote from Firefox:
“The Windows Update site and the newer Microsoft Update site are designed to work only with Internet Explorer. The update sites depend on an ActiveX control which scans
your computer to determine which updates are missing. FF does not run ActiveX controls.”

Given this info and the fact that I have not been able to update any Microsoft stuff via FF, I wish I knew your secret of using FF to do these updates.

I say again that I have had nothing but problems from Windows Internet Explorer in the past year. (Hope this is not considered a slur, but taken as a statement of fact from a tired virus-fighter.) Also, I’ve read in many places that IE is notorious for safety lapses, etc.

So I’m still wishing to be given the way to totally circumvent IE while still getting viable updates for all Microsoft and Windows products, even for IE, just don’t want to have to actually use it even if it’s updated!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 10:34:27 PM »
Depends on the version of IE you are using I am using IE8 on Vista and I am very secure as I run in a protected mode (same as drop my rights) I do not know though whether XP will run in protected mode.  But in the umpteen years I have been using windows (from 3.1 onward) I have never been unintentionally infected

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
bob3160:
Having learned the hard way, I am very careful when using IE. I strictly use it for Microsoft and Windows updates—except that some of those updates keep failing.
I think I've been around the block a few times when it comes to software usage which includes browsers.  :)
I have no problems with using IE and staying safe while doing so.
If you feel safer using Firefox, then by all means do so but remember, it's not the browser but the person doing the browsing
that keeps the system clean.

If you want to use Firefox as your default browser and also update windows, add IE Tab to your Firefox addons .

A personal note,
Unless you like a lot of spam, please don't make your email address available on this or any other forum.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 01:40:05 AM »
There is an interesting discussion about Security tips over at CCleaner forum:
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19017

The no. 1 thing is Common Sense™ that I find is sorely lacking or maybe it is gullibility with a smattering of naivety thrown in.   

TheSpirit

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »
Given this info and the fact that I have not been able to update any Microsoft stuff via FF, I wish I knew your secret of using FF to do these updates.

So I’m still wishing to be given the way to totally circumvent IE while still getting viable updates for all Microsoft and Windows products, even for IE, just don’t want to have to actually use it even if it’s updated!

I have never run IE on this computer. Here is how it works for me: normally you just download the update installer .exe file and install it offline. I beleive this is true for all security updates.

Sometimes, MS requires you to verify that you are running genuine Windows, and requires you to download and run a small verification program. This produces a code, presumably showing that you bought a valid license. This code is entered at the MS update site and you can then download the installer. It's been some time since I have done this, so they may have changed this procedure.

Bye bye, IE. Enjoy.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
Out of the most known browsers Opera, FireFox, IE and Safari), Opera has been the safest for years. Second comes Safari (I am speaking on windows systems here) the IE and last FF. Yes, FF is the one with the most leaks, security issues. Even more then IE. And don't forget that no plugin/add-on for FF is tested and can be a (huge) security risk.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »
Out of the most known browsers Opera, FireFox, IE and Safari), Opera has been the safest for years. Second comes Safari (I am speaking on windows systems here) the IE and last FF. Yes, FF is the one with the most leaks, security issues. Even more then IE. And don't forget that no plugin/add-on for FF is tested and can be a (huge) security risk.

That came hot and steaming from the rear end of a male bovine quadruped.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »
Hi FwF and Eddy,

So you think polonus is wasting his time as a test pilot on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3pre) Gecko/20081126 Minefield/3.1b3pre ID:20081126035913 and also as a member of MozillaZine (mainly contributing to the NoScript add-on webforum section there), contributing to Bugzilla occasionally and also analyzing the workings of FF.

One reason we have that many bugs, because it is Open Software and you know that when the soup is tasty, there are many "tasters" to serve the soup that can have a little extra before the main group is getting the goodies.

There is no browser around at the moment that has been build with security in mind. None, period. End of discussion, the way the Internet works would not tolerate it, I assume...

You see that when you underbind the working of cookies, scripts, redirects etc. the work gets harder between the keyboard and the chair. I have turned this browser inside out, had it on my comp in what kind of configuration you like, experimented with all sort of filters, had good extensions and even better extensions and one extension I will never leave (NoScript), analyze all my leaks, every occasional crash, I have tweaked it to extremes, and I still return to it. Use Flock sometimes, SRWare Iron (the Chrome klone without the privacy issues GoogleChrome has) to render pages where Firefox is not working fully in optima forma. All traces of the browser leave my computer before I close it down, links I save for Flem.
For a browser with 14% market share Firefox 3.0 is not more insecure than other browsers are, that is my opinion and I have a good track record,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

TheSpirit

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 07:32:35 AM »
That came hot and steaming from the rear end of a male bovine quadruped.

Quote from Shakespeare's Macbull?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »
Eddy,

you were one of the first I had discussion with 4 years ago when I first entered this forum and I learned to respect your posts.

I hope that you will forgive me asking for some backup information on the relative security of browsers you have posted in this thread.

Best regards,

Alan   

safetynut

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 11:16:33 PM »
bob3160:
Thank you for the knowledge about the IE Tab in Firefox, I had no idea. I have no Firefox addons. I have spent the year just trying to make the fundamentals work and be free of malware, etc. Speaking of which, along with other issues, if I ever get things straightened out, I will make an effort to get this IE Tab.

Thanks too for the email advice. I am just beginning to use forums, and I am still less than savvy about many aspects of them. Then too, it’s difficult to read and comprehend all the info on each forum involving their use because I have limited time to spend.

TheSpirit: I will comment on what you mentioned. Please correct anything I am misunderstanding.

1. “I have never run IE on this computer. Here is how it works for me: normally you just download the update installer .exe file and install it offline. I beleive this is true for all security updates.”

But in order to download the.exe file, don’t you have to do it via IE (given the stipulation in Reply #17) even if you close the browser and then begin the install? (This is if I don’t have a Firefox IE Tab that bob3160 mentions.)

2. “Sometimes, MS requires you to verify that you are running genuine Windows, and requires you to download and run a small verification program. This produces a code, presumably showing that you bought a valid license. This code is entered at the MS update site and you can then download the installer. It's been some time since I have done this, so they may have changed this procedure.”

I get automatic notification of updates. But if you go to the MS update site it always scans your system to see what updates you need—and to verify that you have a valid license. But it doesn’t indicate that it’s downloading a program to do the check. And I’ve never had to enter a code to download the file in order to install.

So, I guess things have changed since you did this??

BluGan

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 12:22:36 AM »
hi ! it's me again :o but i just want to know if you put add ons like Finjan and Dr. Web ,does it make your browsing speed kinda slow?

Thanks and peace

BluGan

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
and 1 more thing ! whats the difference between WOT and Scandoo

Thanks again