Author Topic: Free verison as good as Paid Version - Student Question  (Read 4276 times)

rikki438

Free verison as good as Paid Version - Student Question
« on: April 20, 2004, 05:36:39 PM »
Hi....

Im a student doing last months of study at uni and recently got a PC but was not wanting toi pay for virus scanning software and was not keen on Norton until a friend recommended me this site....

I was wondering is the free version of Avast... .e.g. the Avast Home edition a good as the paid for version... because for me I cannot understand how it can be if a paid for version is offered?

I have used the program and must seem it seems very nice but by using Trend Microsystems online scanner it found one worm virus which Avast did not find despite using the latest virus updates and a thorough scan of all files including archive files and I always have resident protection set too high?

Is it worth purchasing the full version from the site? Im just curious as to what the differences are between the Home and Pro editions?

Rick

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Free verison as good as Paid Version - Student Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:43:52 PM »
The detection rates are absolutely the same. avast! Professional Edition adds some extra features.

Here's a comparison table: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1018.html

Also, avast! Home is free only for home, non-commercial use. That's why people buy avast! Professional in most of the cases... (they like it at home so they want to keep it in their offices as well).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.