Author Topic: Outlook / Avast hangs  (Read 6497 times)

ddent01

Outlook / Avast hangs
« on: April 20, 2004, 12:54:33 PM »
 ???    I am getting several emails in Outlook 2003 that are detected asa virus by Avast.   However when I try to delete the file it causes an error in Avast (stating it cannot process the command).   This is a continuous loop and the only way out is to terminate the program.

I am running Win 2k, SP4 and all applicable MS updates.  I am using
Office 2003, again with all updates avilable.

I have performed a manual scan that shows 4 infected files.  It
allows two of these to be moved to the chest, but has 2 others that
it cannot do anything with.  If I try to move or delete them it
creates an Avast error.

I have also downloaded avast Cleaner and just finished running it.
It found no viruses !....even when Avast has shown 4 infected files.

I have now downloaded another AV program that cleaned my system.  Still when getting in new emails, Avast will hang.  I have to terminate the programs and then shut down Avast.  I can then start my other AV program and relaunch Outlook and it works fine.  It detects the infected emails and deletes just fine.

I would really prefer to get Avast working again as it's done a great job until now.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Kind regards,
David Dent
ddent01@email.com

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Outlook / Avast hangs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 01:12:11 PM »
So does it hang or does it just enter a (logical) loop. I.e. you select delete -> error pops up -> back to the virus alert -> you select delete -> ... etc...

What if you just press OK? Does that help?

Also, what was the error message, exactly? Just "cannot process"?

I have also downloaded avast Cleaner and just finished running it.
It found no viruses !....even when Avast has shown 4 infected files.

This is a very common misconception. The Virus Cleaner can only deal with a specific set of worms/viruses. By far not all of them!! It's meant to be used only if you already know you're infected by a virus that's covered by the Cleaner. THEN it can do its job...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ddent01

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 02:30:34 PM »
Vlk, my apologies if the message above is somewhat criptic.  It hangs regardless of what I attempt.  I cannot see the entire error as the system hangs when I click OK or Delete.  Previsouly it had been just looping back to the detection if I pressed Delete.  I even tried to check "delete on re-boot".

As to the virus cleaner, you're right and I accept the fact that it only deals with specific virus/worms.  The one I'm dealing with is netsky-p lately.

As mentioned earlier the only way around at the moment is to disable Avast and launch another AV program, then re-start Outlook.  It then kills the attachment and let's me use Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 02:37:15 PM »
Where did avast! detect the viruses that avast! Virus Cleaner missed? Note that the Virus Cleaner doesn't scan the content of archives - so if the viruses were found e.g. in the Outlook mailbox, they would not be reported by the Virus Cleaner.

ddent01

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 03:13:39 PM »
They were in the Outlook mailbox.

I'm more concerned though with getting Avast! to not hang when scanning incoming emails that are infected.

In addition to running auto scans on my local drives with Avast! I also run various onlines scans weekly or sooner if I think there's a virus.  I',m a fanatic so I also run Spybot twice weekly as well.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 05:51:55 PM »
So after pressing OK Outlook froze... totally? Was it eating up CPU? (check the task manager).

ddent01

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 06:39:54 PM »
yes, CPU usage was very high.  I actually waited about a min before terminating the program.  Task Mgt stated both Outlook and Avast! were not responding.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 06:46:59 PM »
Huh, CPU usage high? So a tight loop?? That's interesting...
You probably have no idea if the CPU was taken up by Outlook.exe or ashServ.exe, right?

ddent01

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 07:28:56 PM »
No, sorry I didn;t think to check.  Will turn back on Avast! and see if I can re-create the error.