Author Topic: Dubious Pop-up's when downloading Avast Home  (Read 7259 times)

Tina

Dubious Pop-up's when downloading Avast Home
« on: April 20, 2004, 05:04:24 PM »
Thanks for your help on my other question.

Just one other query .. during the downloading I got three 'pop ups' asking me to go to dubious sites.  I just closed these down, but have never had one on my previous PC (used for approx 5 years!) and seems strange to get 3 when downloading a program onto a new PC (first thing I did on it was download your software) ... has anyone else reported/found the same problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Dubious Pop-up's when downloading Avast Home
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:10:17 PM »
avast website does not handle any pop up window...
I use it for months, tons of hours, not even a pop-up...

It seems you are with other webpage opened which calls the pop-ups, or you have spywares in your system...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Tina

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
Not sure how it was another web page ... I did all the research etc on my old pc, so first time of using the internet on the new one was to go direct to Avast and download the av.

Can you recommend a good program to stop/get rid of spyware that works with Avast (no conflicts etc)?

LAB

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 05:27:23 PM »
Try Adware. Here is the link...   http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
The Pro and Plus versions are not free but the standard version is.

There are no conflicts using it with Avast.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:55:22 PM »

Also use SpyBot-Search & Destroy ... as Ad-aware will miss a few things that SpyBot will catch ... and vise-versa is true also.    ;)  

bassbag

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 11:20:20 PM »
Its possible the popups you are experiencing are probably because your new pc is windows XP and therfore open to windows messenger spam in the form of pop ups.Your 5 yr old pc is probably winows 98 which wasnt affected.Go here and download and install the freeware.....
http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

1.shoot the messenger
2.unplug n pray
3.decombulator.

You can enable/disable the vulnerabilties using these.
me

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:12:27 AM »

Good post, bassbag! Since it is a new computer, Windows Messanger is probably active and could very well be the source of those pop-ups.    :)  

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 01:46:13 AM »
Probably a good idea, also, is to go into Administrative Tools and shut down the messenger service (not the same as Win Messenger) -- spammers are just beginning to discover that's another way to get to you.

Unless you're on an LAN, you have no use for the service -- it's desgined for messaging between workstations.   So just stop it and disable it.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

shgoh

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 08:55:25 AM »
Probably a good idea, also, is to go into Administrative Tools and shut down the messenger service (not the same as Win Messenger) -- spammers are just beginning to discover that's another way to get to you.

Unless you're on an LAN, you have no use for the service -- it's desgined for messaging between workstations.   So just stop it and disable it.

this is a must do!!!

so irritating when message windows just pop up... >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 05:02:50 PM »
Can you recommend a good program to stop/get rid of spyware that works with Avast (no conflicts etc)?

Sure, take a look here at section Ad-aware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1509  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Tina

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 12:30:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.  I have stopped Messenger - do I also need to stop Windows Messenger - what is that used for?

I'll also download some of the other 'preventative' software.

Thanks again for being so helpful. :)