Author Topic: Why Upgrade Windows SPs?  (Read 35556 times)

Offline Sawduster

Re: Why Upgrade Windows SPs?
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »
If I understand correctly:
On the backup question- when you start to install many / most programs, they will recommend backing up first.  Somehow they feel if that if your disk crashes they can say "I told you so".
Whether you use a wizard or copy them to CD/DVD manually is not important, though many backup programs will keep track of what you have already backed up, and if it hasn't changed, it doesn't back it up again.
The whole idea is to have whatever you can't stand to lose stored somewhere besides that hard drive.
We all follow a periodic backup plan, don't we?  ::)
Some like to copy the registry to the desktop - it's visible if you come back in safe mode.
Also, check the "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER" part of the link Tarq provided. It may apply.  I don't think you've mentioned your connection speed - it will take a while.  Supposedly you can also just turn on Auto update.  I'd rather have it do it NOW.

Hey! we're up to 5 pages.  And only 4 more posts until I can edit my profile!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:02:20 AM by Sawduster »
avast! Free.
Able to help most people find the 'ANY' key.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2008, 12:10:12 AM »
Also, check the "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER" part of the link Tarq provided. It may apply.  I don't think you've mentioned your connection speed - it will take a while.
Yes, it will take a while. I'm on cable, I think from memory the download took about 5-8 minutes. It's ~310Mb.
I believe the MS warning "DO NOT CLICK..." is based partly around (1) yes it will take a while, and the update process to SP3 is likely* to be smaller/faster via MS updates, and
(2) Maybe MS don't want too many folk downloading such a large installer package. Even MS have to pay for bandwidth.

* Given that PamJ hasn't had updates for a long time, I would imagine the updates via the automatic update process will be a similar size to the ~310 installer package. But it will take a great deal longer, because of the several likely required reboots.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

PamJ

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:12 AM »
Why not just download SP3 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
as an installer package?
Big download, but includes all updates from SP1 on, up to the point that SP3 was released.
The download can be saved for later re-install if required.

Being the experienced person I am  ;), I was just following the directions that the MS update site gave me after checking my computer. 

EDIT:  That link says for IT Developers and Professionals. That one's okay for me?

I was wondering that too, because I know SP3 has all the SP2 updates, but then I was thinking, what do I know?!?  LOL
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:26:13 AM by PamJ »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
It does indeed say for IT developers and professionals, and I'm neither, but it worked for me. That's one of the things that led me to think that maybe MS would prefer home users to use automatic updates.
I have kept the installer file on a separate partition. If I ever have to re-install Windows, it's going to save me a fair bit of time.
One of the other plusses, is that in the event of problems, the entire SP can be uninstalled. This can be a minus, too, as then you still have to work out what update/s caused the problem.
I had no problems with this update, and believe that to be the majority experience.

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »
I did SP2 on a 26.4 dial-up.
You're fortunate.
I think if you just get the drive tidied up, set your Auto update for every day about an hour ahead of then, reboot, and walk off, you'll be fine.

Later d/l the whole thing like Tarq said and save it to CD.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:42:34 AM by Sawduster »
avast! Free.

PamJ

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2008, 01:33:04 AM »
"And only 4 more posts until I can edit my profile!"

Sawduster, now you have three more posts to go!

PamJ

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2008, 08:57:24 AM »
Just a quick update.  I only have 11% free space, so I can't defrag (or at least it says it can't--says it needs 15%). I deleted a bunch of audio files and pictures, and still only 11%.  Guess I'll have to figure out what software I can uninstall to get up to 15%.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:12 AM »
PamJ, have you run the disk cleanup yet?
That might well buy you enough space.
How big is your hard drive?

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »
I think that machine was stock with a 40G drive.  It's been a long time, but I <<think>> the 15% is a recommenation for efficiency and it will let you continue, but it it's slower.  You've still got room to shuffle files.

The cleanup we're talking about doing before defragging is Start / My Computer / Right Click on C: / Properties / Disk Cleanup.  Then make sure that Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files are checked.  The others you can determine later.  I also do Downloaded Program Files and Offline Web Pages.  I'm curious as to how much gets freed up.  By doing the cleanup first, there's more room and fewer files to shuffle.

BTW - You didn't say if you had actually done the Disk cleanup before.  One of my Dells would stop the cleanup process when I first got it, and I wanted to stick this in before I forgot it.  It might not happen to you.  If so, no worry.  (Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248/en-us).
avast! Free.

YoKenny

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 12:10:56 PM »
Just a quick update.  I only have 11% free space, so I can't defrag (or at least it says it can't--says it needs 15%). I deleted a bunch of audio files and pictures, and still only 11%.  Guess I'll have to figure out what software I can uninstall to get up to 15%.
A big space consumer is System Restore and is usually set way too high.  

Get into System Restore then its Settings then move the slider down to 5%

Reduce the Temporary Internet Folder ( TIF ) size to 100MB as that is adequate for a session of surfing and make sure that it is cleaned after browser closing.

CCleaner is good at removing un-necessary stuff.

PamJ

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »
Good afternoon and good morning!

Yes, it's 40, and I did the disc cleanup beforehand. It took literally under a 30 seconds for the disc cleanup, but I tend to keep the temporary file folder and recycle bin pretty cleaned up anyway so that might be why (I noticed those were two places it cleaned).

After posting, I figured out how many gigs I needed and discovered I'd be here forever trying to delete individual things for the amount I needed.  So, I went through checking to see if there was one thing I could remove to accomplish that.  I have a personal folder with audio and pictures only, and the whole thing is a little larger than what I need, so I'm going to move it to a flash drive.  Have to go get one though, as the ones I have are already in use for data backup and don't have enough room left.

Oh, I think someone mentioned this earlier. I have Comcast cable for internet.

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
Why not see if it will let you do it with less than 15%.  May as well get it started.
avast! Free.

PamJ

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »
Why not see if it will let you do it with less than 15%.  May as well get it started.

True, if I didn't have to work on the computer at the same time. I run a business from home and use the computer non-stop.  Don't need things slowed down or hanging up while trying to get client work out.  ;)  Plus, as I understand it, the defrag process tends to hang up and keep starting over again if other processes are running at the same time.  I plan on doing it tonight--let it work while I sleep!

Hey, sawduster, you're at 20 posts now!

PamJ

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
sawdust, I just noticed your new signature, and now I'm wondering if you can help me with a new problem?  I noticed you can help most people find the "any" key--I lost mine and can't find it!   ;D  Maybe it's this newfangled ergonomic keyboard I have that's split into two separate pieces!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
Hi Pam,
As this never ending saga seems to continue, may I suggest that you consider a larger HD,
40 gig is a baby by todays standards.
Right now, prices are quite low and it would probably end many of your frustrations.
Sp3 (which I also suggest is what you install first) will gratly cut down on the amount of total
updates required for your system.
A download is also available from:
http://mysharedfiles.no-ip.org/windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe

Happy updating.  :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet