Author Topic: Why Upgrade Windows SPs?  (Read 35472 times)

PamJ

Why Upgrade Windows SPs?
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:12:17 AM »
I'm still running XP under SP1, because of all the horror stories I heard, and read, after people upgraded to SP2.  And I still haven't upgraded to SP3.  Question, with avast!, a firewall, and scans with Malwarebytes, and some others mentioned here, how important really is it to upgrade to the current SP?  I'm just afraid it'll cause more problems that it might help. 

CharleyO

Re: Why Upgrade Windows SPs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:40:51 AM »

SP2 & SP3 are Security Patches to the OS and should be downloaded and installed.

While I understand some had problrms, I had no problems with either one of them.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »
I'm still running XP under SP1, because of all the horror stories I heard, and read, after people upgraded to SP2.  And I still haven't upgraded to SP3.  Question, with avast!, a firewall, and scans with Malwarebytes, and some others mentioned here, how important really is it to upgrade to the current SP?  I'm just afraid it'll cause more problems that it might help.

Hi Pam...

Along with what Charley has said, they also include additional features and of the three, SP2 is the most extensive. For more information on these packs...

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2.asp#fw

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en

There are two points of concern here. From my personal experience with installing SP2 on various systems, there is more "weight" felt on older systems with less resources. It isn't too much but it's noticeable. I'm assuming this will carry over to SP3 from SP1. Also, there is, or perhaps used to be, a bug with SP3 that causes reboot loops on system with AMD processors. If your system has this brand of processor, then you will need to download and install this patch before upgrading to SP3...

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-sp3-amd-stop-0x0000007E.html

Hope this helps. :)

Best Regards...

PamJ

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:44:50 AM »
Thanks CharleyO and ardvark.  I know I should do the service upgrades, but I just don't want to end up spending tons of time trying to fix stuff if it does create problems.  I'm not bad with computers, but not an expert by a long shot when it comes to fixing issues that might come up.

Ardvark, my computer is five years old, but it still does fine for what I need (except for the "bugs" I'm trying to work out.)  It's a Dell, Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 640 MB RAM, XP Pro, 2.33 GHz processor speed.    I'll check the links you provided--thank you!

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:05:45 AM »
Hi Pam...

With your specs, you should be just fine, speed wise. Like I mentioned though, if you have an AMD processor and upgrade to SP3 without the patch I mentioned in my last post, you could very well have some serious problems! :( I don't know if Microsoft has fixed this bug in SP3's code.

What is the model and model number of your Dell?

Best Regards...

PamJ

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:10:18 AM »
Hi ardvark,

It's a Dell OptiPlex GX260T.

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »
Hi Pam...

Very nice avatar. :)

Probably the easiest way to find out is to go to the device manager and click on the "+" symbol next to "processor(s)." What does it say?

Best Regards...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

Stupid ppl spreading FUD are worse than anything else. Thats why Vista never succeded and thats why bunch of ppl still run first version of Windows XP (no service packs at all). Just forget about them and upgrade to SP3.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
I have 3 systems and one is an old PIII 500MHZ 512MB RAM that is running XP Pro because that was what I could purchase for it to support its SoundBlaster audio and adapter.
It was in the recycle area of my apartment so basically it was free except for the operating system that was Win98SE and riddled with malware.

I have kept it up to  date with all the service packs and it runs surprisingly fast for its vintage and with SP3 I noticed a small performance increase.  

It runs MBAM, Windows Defender and WinPatrol with the hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS files for protection.  

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »
I had no problems upgrading to SP3. I tend to update stuff within two or three days of updates/patches becoming available, unless there are a lot of horror stories concerning an update appearing, which there weren't with SP3.
I believe the AMD issues was concerning a particular type of computer - HP IIRC- that came out of the factory with incorrect drivers for the processor.

What I like to do, and recommend, is to download the entire installer file for the SP, and save it to a folder of downloads, preferably on another partition, or external drive, and install it from the download. It makes re-installation much easier if it's ever needed.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »

Stupid ppl spreading FUD are worse than anything else. Thats why Vista never succeded and thats why bunch of ppl still run first version of Windows XP (no service packs at all). Just forget about them and upgrade to SP3.

I agree People spreading FUD are worse than anything else. However I think Vista's problem was that it did have many problems in the beginning. Most are already fixed, of course, but people still remember those issues and refuse to upgrade.

To PamJ: There is nothing wrong with XP SP3 that I know of (I've even installed it on several AMD Athlon 64 systems and never ran across the reboot bug)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

PamJ

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
Hi Pam...

Very nice avatar. :)

Probably the easiest way to find out is to go to the device manager and click on the "+" symbol next to "processor(s)." What does it say?

Best Regards...

Thank you!

It says the same thing I posted up a few posts ago: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz.  Is there something else I'm missing?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »
@ PamJ
Not only are there more security holes in XP SP1 that have been closed in XP SP2 & SP3 making your system more secure, if you have SP1 then there are no security updates available to you for some applications as most now require that you have at least XP SP2.

You would also only be able to have IE6 on your system, with XP SP2 you can upgrade to IE7 or update IE6 to SP2. With XP SP3 you would also be updating IE6 to IE6 SP3 which closes security holes in your browser (if you use IE to browse), but since IE is an integral part of your OS being used for many things other than just browsing you are closing possible holes in your operating system.

The same is true if you use Outlook Express as updating to XP Sp2 or SP3 also closes security holes, so I think you can see it is a no brainer update to XP SP3, in doing that it incorporates all updates including SP2 (so no need to install that first).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »
I'm using Vista from day one and apart from slow file copying and awful initial NVIDIA gfx drivers i haven't noticed any problems at all. And i really like Vista. It's rock solid, fast and looks nice out of the box.
Upgraded to SP1 as soon as it was released with no problems. I'm sure i'll update it to SP2 the very moent it's available.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

PamJ

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
I guess at this point anyway any problems with SP2 have been fixed, so they won't be an issue in SP3 (since SP3 includes SP2 upgrades).

I forgot to mention that every since the Norton issue that some of you know about, there are certain things on my computer that "don't work right."  Should I try to fix those before doing the SP3 upgrade? 

-Windows Media Player won't work, even when I completely delete it and download again from the site.  Error message reads:  "Internal Error," etc.
- System Restore doesn't even come up.  Under "System Properties" you can turn it on or off, but when you go in through System Tool, a blank window comes up.
- "User Accounts" under Control Panel comes up blank.
- "Search for Files and Folders" comes up blank.
-  IE is weird, as some sites won't come up at all, others load "weird," and others are fine.  Been using FireFox
-  In my scanner program (HP), if you go into the menu to do certain tasks (scan, save, etc.), they work fine. But if you click on the icons to do those same tasks, nothing happens.
- Certain e-mails in outlook I can print fine; others won't print.  ( I copy them to the desktop and print from there.)

All these, and I'm sure more I've forgotten or don't even know about, became an issue after the Norton thing.  Most don't bother me, or I've found a work-around.  My thinking is that trying to clear these issues up first might be better??

Oh, and I've run Malwarebytes and SUPERantispyware. They did find a bunch of things, but most were adware cookies (one trogan thing), and nothing noticeable has changed with the above issues since the infected files were quarantined. I'm also using Revo Uninstaller for some old stuff, and to try to remove the Norton leftovers.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:34:23 PM by PamJ »