Author Topic: Why Upgrade Windows SPs?  (Read 35572 times)

Offline Sawduster

Re: Why Upgrade Windows SPs?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 11:17:21 PM »
After performing the first steps of Method 1, did you verify that the registry acually contained the exact values shown in Method 2?
Also, just for giggles, what happens in Safe mode?  Search should work, the others may not.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:27:20 PM by Sawduster »
avast! Free.
Able to help most people find the 'ANY' key.

PamJ

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 11:33:02 PM »
After performing the first steps of Method 1, did you verify that the registry acually contained the exact values shown in Method 2?
Also, just for giggles, what happens in Safe mode?  Search should work, the others may not.

I tried "user accounts" in safe mode (I think), but nothing else.  Might do that, though.

EDIT:  Yes, I checked everything in Method 2, and each one has what they say it should.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:37:48 PM by PamJ »

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2008, 11:53:20 PM »
While you're at it, you could try creating a new account and see how it behaves under that account, but.....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142676/en-us has some of the syptoms, but doesn't fit as well the other.
I understand it's  been a while (so I don't think System Restore isn't going to work for you), but do you remember if it all started at once or came on gradually, and had you made any changes when it started - settings, new programs, or new hardware?
avast! Free.

PamJ

YOU AREN'T GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
You guys are not going to believe this but I went to take a screen shot of all my blank dialog windows and----------they're all up and working now!!!!!!!!  And I can print any e-mail in Outlook!  I have NO idea what I did (or we did) that fixed these.  Something I did today or late last night, I guess.  Now I'm afraid to turn the computer off!  LOL

The only things I've done since yesterday afternoon are check the regsvr32 things sawduster suggested, plus some more I found on Ramesh's site (they were all okay), and I moved all the deleted Norton files from the recycle bin back into the Norton folders to try again to uninstall them all, but hadn't done that yet (don't think I'll mess with it anymore now).  Don't know why, but I thought moving them all back, and then trying the Revo again might get them all this time.

Anybody have a clue?!?!?

Thanks to everyone for hanging in here with me, but looks whatever was wrong is fixed. Big question, though, is it now safe to SP update, or should I just leave well enough alone with all the troubles I've had?

:) :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o

(Sorry, I'm getting a little carried away here!)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:21:01 AM by PamJ »

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 12:24:01 AM »
We're all excited for you.
One step at a time.
Use the Norton removal tool from their web site and reboot.
They should know what's where.
avast! Free.

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 12:33:27 AM »
If everything works fine, clean out any garbage files you may have, do Tools / Options / Maintenance / Clean up / Compact on Outlook Express, maybe a adware / spyware and A/V scan, then do a disk clean-up, then a defrag.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:36:37 AM by Sawduster »
avast! Free.

PamJ

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 12:39:24 AM »
I don't use Outlook Express, just Outlook.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:39:57 AM »
We are actually excited for you. I've been following this adventure, and, frankly, admire your persistence and thoroughness. (Plus that of the helpers, of course.)
Just a heads-up, though. On the odd occasion compressing the folders in Outlook Express has been known to cause problems. (Happened to me.) Give it the time it needs to finish doing this, and don't empty the recycle bin afterwards (part of disk cleanup) until you see that OE is functioning correctly. (You'll know immediately if it's not. All your mail will be missing.  ;D)

[edit] just seen your reply. Don't think that's a factor, then. Dunno. Don't use outlook.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »
Outlook doesn't need this step.  It's just a good idea to get rid of all junk such as emptying your trash before doing a lot of other disk clean-up.
avast! Free.

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »
I don't speak Firefox.  Lots of programs follow the rules you set up in IE and FF is probably the same. You may have a conflict in what IE calls Tools / Internet Options / Advanced.   There may even be a FF setting that conflicts with the IE setting and the computer is trying to obey both.
Let's go one step at a time, and make sure everything works in between.
avast! Free.

ardvark

Re: YOU AREN'T GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 02:48:01 AM »
You guys are not going to believe this but I went to take a screen shot of all my blank dialog windows and----------they're all up and working now!!!!!!!!  And I can print any email in Outlook!  I have NO idea what I did (or we did) that fixed these.  Something I did today or late last night, I guess.  Now I'm afraid to turn the computer off!  LOL

The only things I've done since yesterday afternoon are check the regsvr32 things sawduster suggested, plus some more I found on Ramesh's site (they were all okay), and I moved all the deleted Norton files from the recycle bin back into the Norton folders to try again to uninstall them all, but hadn't done that yet (don't think I'll mess with it anymore now).  Don't know why, but I thought moving them all back, and then trying the Revo again might get them all this time.

Anybody have a clue?!?!?

Thanks to everyone for hanging in here with me, but looks whatever was wrong is fixed. Big question, though, is it now safe to SP update, or should I just leave well enough alone with all the troubles I've had?

:) :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o

(Sorry, I'm getting a little carried away here!)

Hi Pam...

YAYYYYYYYYYYY! :) 8) :)

No need to be sorry, I'd be ecstatic too!

While I'd be inclined to say leave it like it is, without upgrading to SP3, I'm not sure if you have or if you will continue to get updates to the OS, plus the increased security risk. :(

Also, OEM copies are designed for system manufacturers who agree to preinstall and support those versions of the operating system, rather than Microsoft, in exchange for a cheaper rate per copy. Legally, OEM copies are "wedded" to the system (motherboard specifically) they were originally put along with the COA and if the motherboard dies, then so does the copy of XP. There are more limitations. This particular post on CNET offers more detail...

"FAQ
by FWPIII - 10/22/05 2:41 PM In reply to: OEM verses Retail XP Home. by caktus
The following information was found at Tek-Tips

ALL OEM copies can only be installed clean: (that is, the hard drive must be formatted before XP OEM can be installed). They cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an existing Operating System so make sure
you back up all necessary data and files BEFORE installing XP OEM, since the format of the Hard Drive will erase ALL data on it.

There are two types of OEM CDs:
1) an OEM version created by a system manufacturer. These copies are usually "BIOS-locked", and can only be used on the exact machine they were created for.
2) a "FULL OEM", or "FULL OEM DSP". These may be installed on any IBM-compatible machine. These may or may not be provided with a factory-built machine, but are usually purchased separately for installation a home-built machine.

You will be making a trade-off in buying an OEM version. YOU will trade the ability to upgrade an existing installation of Windows (and save
your data and programs) and the legal right to install the copy on a new machine, (if you should change your old machine for a new one), for a
big savings in the initial cost of Windows XP.

NOTE: OEM versions must legally be sold along with a hardware item, but in many cases this hardware item may be a power-cord (usually a $1) or mouse (they might even give you the mouse to satisfy Microsoft's
licensing requirements)

Three other issues that need to be emphasized about an OEM license:

1. You will receive no support from Microsoft. You will be referred to the original OEM licensee.
2. You cannot upgrade the FULL OEM DSP version. When longhorn or whatever appears this will not be a qualifying license.
3. Currently you can transfer (no, not two copies) a non-OEm license to a new machine. You remove XP from the first machine and the license will transfer to the new machine. You call Microsoft and they will issue you a new activation code. You cannot do this with the OEM license. It is for one machine only, the original machine. You will not be issued an activation code for a new machine.
4. You can upgrade the RAM, hard disk and other devices. And use the phone option to re-activate. The question is whether the OEM installation is fundamentally the same after the upgrade"

The "licensee" in #1 is you, in this case. Folks with these copies have to take care of the support end of it all by themselves. :(

The retail version offers more rights including the ability to transfer the OS to any system, provided you uninstall it from the previous system. The retail version is also Microsoft supported.

Hope this helps and I'm glad your system is up and running correctly again! :)

May God Bless you and your family! :)

PamJ

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:02 AM »
Interesting information, ardvark--thanks!

Right now Dell is still selling computers with XP pre-installed and Vista (I believe on CD or something).  I didn't know all that about OEM, but purchased it on Amazon in case I ended up having to get a computer with Vista and wanted to replace it with XP.  It worked for my son on his Dell laptop a couple years ago, so I figured it would probably work for me if I needed to go that same route, so I bought one for myself. 

PamJ

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:12 AM »
<snip>
We are actually excited for you. I've been following this adventure, and, frankly, admire your persistence and thoroughness. (Plus that of the helpers, of course.)

Thank you, Tarq57!   :)

ardvark

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »
Interesting information, ardvark--thanks!

Hi Pam...

You're welcome, glad I could help! :)

Best Regards...

Offline Sawduster

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
I got lost in the flow of the conversation fo a while there.
PamJ - Are you all updated?
avast! Free.