Author Topic: Norton Removal Saga Continues...  (Read 2471 times)

PamJ

Norton Removal Saga Continues...
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:28:30 AM »
Hello all again.  I tried the great suggestions using old NRTs, but nothing worked.  Then I tried Spiritsongs suggestion of the Revo Uninstaller.  It also said, "Module Not Found," but it came back with so many "left over files,"  I didn't know if it was safe to delete them all, as I don't understand what any of them are!  Apparently, you check the boxes of everything you want to delete.  I know it's a long list, but if someone could take a quick look and see if anything pops out as something I should NOT delete, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks! 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:34:27 AM by PamJ »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Norton Removal Saga Continues...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »
They all look OK to delete, far as I can tell. Only delete those that are bolded, as indicated especially where you have expanded the entry. Ie: don't delete the parent entry, just the bolded one under it . So, for example, you would not delete "software" nor "microsoft" (etc) but would delete, under "ARP Cache" the one marked "SymSetup...". I can't tell what is under it, as the entry isn't expanded, but if it related to anything else with a "Sym" "Symantec" or "NIS' or "Norton" in it, you are probably OK to zap it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

PamJ

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »
Thanks Tarq57!  The way it's laid out is the way Revo showed it, so I just did a few print screens. Didn't even think about expanding all those, which it's probably good I didn't before showing it here---just went back to look and there's a total of 267 registry items it found! It says, "Only checked bolded items and their subfolders will be deleted."  Looking more closely, it seems that checking something that is not bold, checks all the items underneath so you don't have to check them individually. If, then, I'm reading it correctly in that even if you check the unbolded items, only the bolded ones (and subfolders) will be deleted, for people like me, they need to specifically say that, "Note: Checking unbolded items will not delete them; this is only for convenience of selecting all items underneath all at once," or something like that. ;) (With computers, I tend to ask probably way more questions that I need to!) 

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:54:53 AM »
(With computers, I tend to ask probably way more questions that I need to!) 

Hi Pam...

Not a problem, asking more questions and learning what to do (or not do) is a whole lot better than asking no or few questions and having things end up badly. ;)

Best Regards...