Author Topic: Incredibly S-L-O-W thorough scan  (Read 2954 times)

bestremera

Incredibly S-L-O-W thorough scan
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »
I really like the way Avast (Home) works in the background, updating itself, and providing good protection without slowing down my system.
Dell, 512 RAM, XP Home, SP3.

But darn!, the thorough scan progress bar took about 1 1/2 hours to go from 0 to 1%.
It's been on 1% for 2 hours and the number of scanned files keeps on rising.

This can't be normal. Is there a way to speed this up?
Eliminating certain folders, etc.?

Thanks, Bob

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Incredibly S-L-O-W thorough scan
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »
But darn!, the thorough scan progress bar took about 1 1/2 hours to go from 0 to 1%.
It's been on 1% for 2 hours and the number of scanned files keeps on rising.

Well...an thorough scan can take some time, yes! :)

Are you scanning archived files also?
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
I bet you selected archives as well ;D

Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:45 PM »
On-demand scanning, specially for archive files, is not the best point of avast.
But, indeed, don't you think the resident is enough and the scanning should be run only from time to time, once a month... overnight possibly?
The best things in life are free.