Author Topic: A fatal exception 0D has occured error installing Avast free Windows 98se  (Read 3071 times)

czarp

I installed Avast free on about four identical Windows 98SE systems.

Two of them work flawlessly.  The other two systems worked perfectly, until installing Avast.  One of those machines I swapped hard drives with another identical drive with Windows already installed.  Avast worked fine after doing that.

I installed Avast on yet another identical machine.  Machine worked perfectly prior to Avast.  Now that machine keeps crashing.  I pulled out the drive and replaced it with the drive from the first machine that Avast crashed as I had put a different drive in that one.  I reformatted the hard drive, loaded Windows 98 and all drivers as I have reformatted these machines many times before.  I updated it to the latest IE 6 available with all security updates that are out for Win98se.  I also installed Firefox, latest 2.0.18 that works with Windows 98.  Everything worked perfectly.  I powered down, installed Avast free, and now it's crashing just as the other drive / machine did.

After powering up, it will usually boot to the desktop, but if I wait very long, try to update Avast Windows will crash.  Here's the error I get:

Windows
                         --------

A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 00:28:C00015E1.

No errors until installed and configuring Avast (just set to pick permanent Internet connection).  Also attempted to update definitions.

I will also mention after the crashes on the 2nd machine that crashed, I did notice the hard drive was a bit noisy when it ran Scandisk after the machine wasn't powered down correctly.  Reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows did not reveal and physical hard drive problems.  I also find it odd the both machines with these drive worked perfectly, for a long time, prior to Avast so i'm not thinking it's cause for the hard drives being worn out.

Thanks for any help.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: A fatal exception 0D has occured error installing Avast free Windows 98se
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
Honestly, it's hard to suggest anything helpful, when it comes to Win9x and this kind of errors.
So, you don't have any other low-level software installed, right?

YoKenny

Re: A fatal exception 0D has occured error installing Avast free Windows 98se
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
Win98SE commonly called the Silly Edition is very prone to these types of failures.

Please see:
Fatal Exception 0D
http://www.aumha.org/win4/kbefe.php