Author Topic: please help!  (Read 2421 times)

prankster

please help!
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
Hey, I was recently alerted to some viruses by my avast. I moved the first one i received to the chest but deleted it a while later. it was a svhost.exe file...was it ok to delete it? the others i got later on these are -

another svhost.exe
trzAA.tmp
and
A0062090.exe

is it ok to delete these?

and if anyone can help could these be contributed to my msn messenger acting up?

thank you

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:32:47 AM »
Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate. So effectively that is what you are doing when you delete shortly after sending to the chest.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

svchost.exe is the file name for an important system, a common tactic for malware to confuse users.

Where were these found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

Sorry I don't use MSN so I can't say and I have no idea what 'acting up' means, nor I would imagine would others who do use it, so please try to be a little more detailed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security