Author Topic: restore from virus chest  (Read 10611 times)

finsthwaite

Re: restore from virus chest
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
i finally figured out how to send the file (i couldn't see how to update to the latest version but now i have) so i think they have them now. i have to go now but would appreciate your help in restoring the files so that i can use the game again, thanks for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
i increased the size & tried again, it said 'unspecified errors', then when i clicked cancel it came up files sent with errors?
Hopefully now you have updated the program it should be able to submit the samples.

what happens now, is it safe to restore the file? do i just highlight the files & click on restore?

It should be safe to restore those that only had two detections in VT the other with 10 detections I would wait until it is confirmed by avast it is no longer detected.

For this to happen you have to have submitted the samples and periodically scan the file in the chest, when it is no longer detected (avast has corrected the VPS) then it would be safe to restore.

Right clicking on the file in the chest and selecting restore will send the file to the original location.

what do you mean by 'exclude the original location'?

The same as I meant when I had you create the suspect folder and exclude that and its contents (remember that) so you could upload to virustotal with avast alerting. Well you have to do the same thing but be more defined in you have to name the file C:\Program Files\absolutist.com\Bubble GJolden Pack\bgpack.exe and the same for the others this will stop avast alerting when you play the game. You would also need to add the same to the Program Settings, Exclusions, so they aren't detected when you do an on-demand scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

finsthwaite

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
hi, i have tried to follow your instructions but have failed to restore my game. i typed in C:\Program Files\absolutist.com\Bubble Golden Pack, into the exclusions & then typed all the other locations listed in the virus chest. then i highlighted all the files in the virus chest & clicked on restore. now the desktop icon has lost it's picture & when i click on it (or on the application in Program Files) i still get 'windows cannot find the file or path. i am at my wit's end, i have even tried reinstalling the game but that won't work either. i seem to have ended up with loads of files called Bubbles Golden Pack, (with various words after them) but none of them work. can anyone please try to explain in very simple words what i can do now? can i delete the whole thing & just buy the game again or will that be infected too, quite honestly i would be prepared to pay another £20 to get my life back!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
If this is all you have entered into the exclusions lists (C:\Program Files\absolutist.com\Bubble Golden Pack) I'm not surprised it didn't work, because that neither names the file to exclude from scans, nor does it use wildcards (as in the example I used for the suspect folder c:\suspect\*). However, I don't recommend that you exclude the complete folder Bubble Golden Pack, it is too big a security hole, but it is your system and your choice.

You must enter the full path and file name (of the file beind detected as infected) into both exclusions lists as in the example I gave C:\Program Files\absolutist.com\Bubble GJolden Pack\bgpack.exe

Reinstalling won't work for obvious reasons avast will detect it unless you have the exclusions set or you pause the standard shield so it doesn't scan the installation. That takes you up to the point of trying to play the game when avast is likely to alert again on the same files as before (unless you have the specific files excluded).

If by none of them work you mean avast detects them, then again this is back to exclusions if you don't get that right they won't work (even if you answer no action to the alert) so the exclusions are crucial to your problem get that wrong and it won't work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

finsthwaite

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »
can you tell me where i can find 'Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add' as i think you are telling me to put the file names in here to exclude them? also where do i find the file names to put in it? thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 02:35:16 PM »
can you tell me where i can find 'Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add' as i think you are telling me to put the file names in here to exclude them? also where do i find the file names to put in it? thanks
Left click the 'a' blue icon.
Click "Details" button... Standard Shield will be there at left.
The best things in life are free.