Author Topic: virus chest log file  (Read 6321 times)

robles

virus chest log file
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »
i have the avast free edition.is there a way to print a copy of the files in the virus chest or better yet a way to upload a copy as an attachment? i have issues that i'm working on with someone online and i want him to see whats in there. thanx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: virus chest log file
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
First ensure you have the latest program version 4.8.1282 as the submission process has been improved.

Send it from the Infected or User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). This process has been modified in the latest version to make it easier, it doesn't actually get emailed, but transferred when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.

No print function for the chest that I'm aware about but if you could do a print screen or screen capture, expand the columns, etc. so you can see what you need, etc. and print screen or capture it and print the image. See example, having captured this I have scaled it down to 60% to reduce the file size.

You could also look in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log this reports all avast detections, though it doesn't say what action was taken on detection (e.g. if you sent it to the chest).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robles

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »
thank-you but i'm not working with someone from avast i am working with spykiller

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:15:22 PM »
Well colour me confused for thinking that since this is the avast forums that your question is about avast.

There is nothing stopping you having captured the image sending that, nor a copy of the warning.log contents.

You can extract a file from the chest (not restore) to a temp location, which you would have to exclude as avast would alert and ftp the file rather than email it. You would have to ask if the other person has a location to ftp the file/s and how to do it with their system.

Other than that I can't be any real help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robles

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »
davidr, i am sorry for the confusion i should have been more specific with my request. forgive me but i am a new user to avast and also ignorant in the operation of the many functions of a pc. you all offer such good information and i keep getting reinfected somehow and am trying to keep from forking over cash to best buy to fix this thing. thanx again

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »
This process has been modified in the latest version to make it easier, it doesn't actually get emailed, but transferred when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.
Yeah... it's easier now... but only few seconds? I think the files is being transfered in background after the update process finished... Am I wrong?

Information about current update:
Total time: 6 s

- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 081116-1)

Server: a609sm.avast.com (75.125.223.98)
Downloaded files: 2 (0,02 KB)
Download time: 3 s
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »
davidr, i am sorry for the confusion i should have been more specific with my request.
You can make a screenshot.
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »
<snip>
you all offer such good information and i keep getting reinfected somehow and am trying to keep from forking over cash to best buy to fix this thing. thanx again

You're welcome.

If it keeps coming back, there is likely to be an undetected or hidden element to the infection that restores or downloads the file again. Or just keep getting infected by different things, it could be the same, an undetected or hidden element downloading more of the same or your security practice or lack of protection software (good firewall, etc.). So what is your firewall ?

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file). You should keep these, they are on-demand and work well with avast, run them periodically, I would say weekly, update the signatures and run a scan.

1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.