Author Topic: New Virus - How to report  (Read 2226 times)

max58

New Virus - How to report
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
Avast can't kill virus on my PC.
When I insert USB Stick in PC. Virus is written on USB.
Avast alerts on autorun.inf.

autorun.inf is text file that refers to real virus body.
Avast do not see it.

Then I insert USB in Linux PC and delete these files.
Again I insert USB in Windows PC protected with avast and I get new virus on USB stick and avast complains on autorun.inf and offers to delete it.

Is there way to start avast to scan disk before windows starts?
I think avast was able to do that in past.

Is there way to submit virus from usb to avast?

----

I made full disk scan and virus was still active.

----

Windows said that hardware changed and I need re-active license.
I have not changed hardware. May be virus modified some internals.

----

I have tried to fight with virus but I failed.
I was exploring processes with SysInternals Process Explorer, TCPView and FileMon.
There is no record in FileMon that any process accesses USB stick. (Only disk C:)

---

I got USB stick from photo printing lab recently.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New Virus - How to report
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »
Can you try this?

• Download Flash Drive Disinfector and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
  • Note: Flash Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder... it will help protect your drives from future infection.
The best things in life are free.

max58

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
Thank You. But flash drives are infected by my PC.
I wish to delete virus from my PC.

Will FlashDriveDisinfector beat virus on my PC or just clean and protect Flash drives?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:52:10 PM »
It will help subsequently protect your system when cleaned by preventing this getting in by creating the hidden folders as mentioned by Tech.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.

Don't have any flash drives connected when you do this to try and first get your system clean so it doesn't infect flash drives.

Run the flash disinfector after the scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security