Author Topic: When saving pics....  (Read 7780 times)

simmo99

When saving pics....
« on: April 20, 2004, 10:07:17 PM »
I don't know what I have changed but now when I save a picture from a website it comes up as an untitled bitmap in the save box rather than keeping the original name of the jpg.
Does anybody have any idea how to change it back?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:When saving pics....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:28:57 PM »
Hi simmo,

I've run into this several times when the pic has not completely downloaded but IE-6 thinks it has.  If you use IE-6 and turn on the auto-resize option, you'll see that the resize-to-normal button, normally in the bottom-right corner of the pic, is in this case below what seems to the the bottom of the pic.

And IE will offer to save the part-picture, but can only do so as a BMP.

If you want to keep it anyway, even though it's not complete, just about any halfway-decent graphics program (I like Graphics Workshop) can convert it to JPG or any of many other formats -- you'll probably want to crop it afterwards to eliminate the "invisible" part of the pic and trim the file-size a little.

Best,
Mike

As a P.S., if the site's handy (or you're still there, better yet), try clearing your browser cache and then refreshing, sometimes that will succeed in getting the whole pic (and file) so you can save-as JPG to start with.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

simmo99

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 10:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the help but it's not that I haven't downloaded the full pic because it has the resize option on the screen.  It happens on every single picture I download.

kubecj

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 01:19:54 AM »
What I heard is that this happen usually to the pictures with extraordinary amount of pink color (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, knowwhatahmean?)  8)

It simply doesn't like the url in format http://username:password@server/path

Or, see the following KB articles. Or (even better), download Mozilla or Firefox.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978&Product=ie600

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650&Product=ie600

simmo99

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 04:57:47 AM »
Thanks for the help guys but I found out it was because my temporary internet files folder was full.  I've cleared it using tools/internet options/general/delete files and now it's all working fine.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »

Yikes ... your Temporary Internet folder was full?!    ???    :)    

Get "Internet Sweeper" (or a similar program) and get rid of that junk often!    ;)  

It also gets rid of other saved & unneeded junk files. You may find that your computer may seem a bit faster and that surfing the net may be a bit faster.    :)  

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 04:24:05 AM »

Oops ... I forgot to add that using... tools/internet options/general/delete files ...will not get rid of all that can be safely deleted. It did, though, help you with your problem.    :)  

Steele

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 08:52:54 PM »
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9863085~mode=flat

I run into the same problem all the time.
I psoted about this at DSLREPORTS.com ;D

Don't CLICK the above link... rather select and paste it all into your address bar. This forum does not like my links.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 08:54:11 PM by Steele »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 09:10:04 PM »

Oops ... I forgot to add that using... tools/internet options/general/delete files ...will not get rid of all that can be safely deleted. It did, though, help you with your problem.    :)  

I've found that if I run Disk Cleanup after coming offline, quite often it'll pick up things (usually not much, few Kb) that got left behind even after deleting files when I've closed the browser (IE6).

And if you want to go to the trouble of manually scanning thru the Temp Internet folders, quite often you find even more stuff (other than cookies) that both operations didn't clean out.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent