Author Topic: VRDB icon does not vanish  (Read 3662 times)

slowcar

VRDB icon does not vanish
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »
running vista sp1 32 eng, avast! 4.8 home with german language.
i selected the context option to integrate the VRDB icon into the main icon, but with no effect.
in the context menu of the main tray icon there is the option to split to two symbols again.

figured i'd ask here before i disable the VRDB feature, the spinning symbol is a wee bit annoying.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: VRDB icon does not vanish
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:08:24 PM »
When integrated the two icons merge, but for Generation they split and yes the i icon rotates whilst the process is running. Now comes the good bit unless you change the duration this should happen every 21 days so you shouldn't see it that frequently.

Also if you set it up to generate when the screen saver is on, surely you wouldn't see it as hopefully you wouldn't be at the computer.

Whilst I have never had to Repair an infected file (this is where the VRDB comes in) to its pre-infected state I wouldn't consider disabling it. I have mine set to Generate when the screen saver is running, since I don't use a screen saver it is effectively disabled. However, every third week as part of my regular weekly system maintenance (after an on-demand scan) I do a Generate Now and go off for a coffee so I don't see the rotating icon.

You could also hide it using the Windows Start button customisation to hide the icon if it is that grating.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

slowcar

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »
the customisation was a golden advice, didn't know about that. the small things are the ones that make people happy, thanks a lot

solved.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:04:31 PM »
the customisation was a golden advice, didn't know about that. the small things are the ones that make people happy, thanks a lot

solved.
You've discovered the most configurable antivirus round ;)
Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.