Author Topic: Can it be set to NEVER auto-upate?  (Read 2248 times)

lynn98109

Can it be set to NEVER auto-upate?
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
When I sign on (56k), I do so to surf.  I prefer to do any updating when I'm reading other stuff - not fight with an AV program over the line.

Is it possible to set it so I can simply update it manually every day, instead of fighting it?

Lynn

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can it be set to NEVER auto-upate?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:58:37 PM »
Of course it can but I feel it would be unwise to do so, I'm a dial-up user and all I do is delay the update check to 10 after I connect (this allows me to quickly connect grab my email or something else without triggering an update check).

The avast updates are unlike anything you have ever used, the VPS (virus signatures) Updates are incremental and can be measured in KBs rather than MBs with the duration normally measured in seconds and not minutes (even on dial-up) so there most certainly is no fight for a share of bandwidth.

The avast auto update also has another trick up its sleeve it also restricts the amount CPU% it take up so it doesn't throttle what you are doing, so it is very much in the background whilst you continue with whatever it is your doing.

A manual update has no such throttling as the auto update since you initiated it.

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line:
Dial-up connections, add this line: RASWaitSeconds=600

[InetWD]
RASWaitSeconds=600

When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to ten minutes, you could try that and adjust if required, 300, 480, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can it be set to NEVER auto-upate?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »
You can follow David's advices... there is another way, set to Manual for virus database updates. But this is not a good policy... you can forget to do it so...
The best things in life are free.