Author Topic: New release of avast Home/Pro [4.8.1290]  (Read 29341 times)

TheSpirit

Re: New release of avast Home/Pro [4.8.1290]
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »
There will be times (certainly infrequent - but have existed in recent memory and may occur again) where the avast team will force program updates when it is necessary to provide support of newer features in the avast product.   

Now, that is interesting! Like Microsoft's "we know that you turned off automatic updates, but we will do it, anyway"?

Maybe somebody from ALWIL would comment on this?

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
The auto update (for the program and virus database) should work. I'll admit that for me it did not work since my last update a while back (build 4.1229 I think). However that is because I selected the option of constant internet connection even if I am not constantly connected to the net. Despite having DSL I have an upload/download limit of 1 Gb. So I turn of my internet unless I am using it.

Even though the system is not connected to the Internet and from what I know about a DSL connection it is always active if the modem is powered up.

Pretty much, what DavidR said is true.

It is due to its perspective where it Asks if an update is available then will notify you if one is available if you select the Update (Basic) Ask when update is available in Settings.

Rick F

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »
Just updated my avast to 4.8.1290.  No problems what so ever.

Thanks to the team at Alwil for smooth program updates -- and to those of this great forum for continued superior support.

Offline defza

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
I'm still getting the BSOD when trying to install ext2ifs_1_11a !

I've tried aswSP.sys version: 4.8.1281.0, 4.8.1227.0 and the one from here: 32-bit Windows: http://public.avast.com/~vlk/aswsp-ext2fsd-fix/i386/aswSP.sys

Although the file linked to above does cause the BSOD to occur a while "later" in the installation, i.e. more disk activity happens before it BSOD's.

If you need more information or logs, let me know.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:53 PM »
defza: yes, definitely, please send me the corresponding minidump (the most recent file from the \windows\minidump folder).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dallas7

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 06:03:12 AM »
There is a green pop, up similar to the blue definition update pop up, that alerts us to a new version of avast!.
I have the "Virus database" set to Automatic and I do get a blue pop up informing that the database has been updated and then it closes within a few seconds.  I only know this because of the few times I was at the computer while it happened - which is OK as I know that's how automatic should work.  I would imagine the same behavior for the Automatic setting for "Program."
For the "Ask" setting I would expect a pop up that remained until acted upon by the user, perhaps with a Yes/No.  Correct?
I'm going to set the Virus database to Ask and observe its behavior to get an idea of the developers' concept of "Ask."

OOPS! My bad. I definitely do not get an alert for either the database or program when set to "ask" but that's because I have the Windows Alerter service disabled.  Or another service, maybe.  I have lots of "useless" services disabled or set to manual.  Whichever it is, when I was running Windows Defender, I didn't get any alerts from that app either.  Examining the listings in Antivrus in the Event Viewer shows the alerts are coming from avast! but just not making it to the shell.

Thanks for the responses; sorry for my lapse.  :-\

rassel

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 06:38:13 AM »
Thanks for the update

rklm

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »
Generally, everyone is suggested to upgrade to this new build.

Well, I did with my other PC and after the recommended reboot the system does not come up again. :-(  It does not even get as far as presenting the boot text ("Press F8 for boot options..."). BIOS messages pass by then the disk LED is continuously on for about 20seconds and nothing happens. Sometimes weird characters appear on screen.

Normally I would assume coincidence but you never know. Are there any known issues with the current version?  Does the update write to the MBR or boot sector?  OS is Windows XP Home with SP3.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:19:09 PM by rklm »

sunrisecc

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »
I updated over 10 computers with XP Home SP3 with nary a problem.

You might want to un-install and re-install as per enounciated elsewhere.

rklm

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »
I updated over 10 computers with XP Home SP3 with nary a problem.
This machine where I'm writing from didn't have any issues as well.
You might want to un-install and re-install as per enounciated elsewhere.
Thanks for the suggestion but that would require the OS to come up - or a rather complicated operation with Windows recovery CD...  I'll try to fix MBR for the time being.

sunrisecc

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »
Try safe mode or last good config first before playing around with the MBR.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 05:31:32 PM »
Does the update write to the MBR or boot sector?
No, for sure not. Neither avast nor Windows XP SP3 change anything there.
Any other antivirus in this computer? Did you have in the past?
The best things in life are free.

rklm

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
Try safe mode or last good config first before playing around with the MBR.
Not an option.  Please read my posting.

rklm

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »
Does the update write to the MBR or boot sector?
No, for sure not. Neither avast nor Windows XP SP3 change anything there.
Any other antivirus in this computer? Did you have in the past?
Thanks for the clarification! No, there's never been other AV software on that machine. It is even a pretty fresh install (few weeks ago) as I had to reinstall the OS for other reasons. Btw, it's a P4 so not the newest model in town, if that somehow is important. :-)

Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 05:41:34 PM »
Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:

1. Avira
2. Kaspersky
3. BitDefender
4. F-Secure
The best things in life are free.