Author Topic: Avast Screensaver and XP  (Read 4522 times)

TheNut

Avast Screensaver and XP
« on: April 21, 2004, 01:01:48 AM »
Hi folks- I'm new to Avast and really love the program. (I'm using the free 4 home addition).

Everything has been working GREAT until I thought I would play around with the Screen Saver. (I never use a Screen Saver by the way, was just "playing" ::) )

Anyway, I selected the "Avast! Antivirus" Screen Saver in my screen saver selections- (XP Pro). Then, I clicked on the "settings" button.
This brought up the Avast box where I could select the options...(What Screen Saver to use, whether I wanted Avast to scan etc.) OK....So far, so good. (Just as an experiment, I picked "starfield"...It worked fine).

Now the problem.  :'(

I've since set it back to NO screensaver.  (Figured , cool! Even though I'll never use it, it's a pretty neat feature).

Well, I decided to go back and try it again...Can't help it, I like to tinker.  :)
Now, when I select the "avast! Antivirus" Screen Saver, the "Starfield" is showing in the preview window, HOWEVER, I can't get back to the Avast settings box to change to a different Screen Saver.
In other words, when I click on the "settings" button, nothing happens. it acts like the Avast box will open,  but It won't.   :'(

So  basically, I'm stuck on the Starfield Screen Saver...(with the Avast box still working within "Starfield", but not "scanning" for viruses because I unchecked that when I was able to get to the settings box).

I'm sorry to make this so long winded. just wanted to be as clear as possible. Tried rebooting, still can't access that settings box for Avast.

It's not a major problem as I am able to still select NO screensaver (or even other Screen Savers for that matter that will all work) But I can't get any other one to work with Avast now except "starfield".

Any ideas or suggestions as to what happened and how to correct it would be very much appreciated!
Thank you.

(Edit) I may have left something important out. Before I figured out I needed to hit the "settings" button first, I just clicked on "preview" (With the Avast Screen Saver)
It did  some strange things like shut down the monitor, and went into safe mode for a second or two...Whoops!
Then everything went back to normal...Except for above problem that is!  :o
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 01:36:02 AM by TheNut »

TheNut

Re:Avast Screensaver and XP
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 02:40:06 AM »
Hi again floks......Being the impatient type that I am, I fixed the problem.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the program.
That's why I'm called "TheNut".....Only a nut would go through all that just to get something working I'm never going to use!  ;D

I figure I must have corrupted something when I tried to preview the Avast Screen Saver without setting anything else up...Who knows. That's my theory and I'm going to stick to it.  ::)

BTW...I've recently come over from AVG. For a freebie, Avast RULES!
Thanks for listening to all of this nonsense!  ;)

shgoh

Re:Avast Screensaver and XP
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 08:51:27 AM »
welcome to avast nuttie ;D