Author Topic: Program and VRDB Updates  (Read 5982 times)

ccrider966

Program and VRDB Updates
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »
What are Program and VRDB files?  I read the description but still do not understand!  I have dial up and there is a new VRDB update every time I get online and it takes 10 minutes for it to download.  The Program updates are somewhat faster and less frequent.  I realize the need to keep up to date with new virus's and want to do that but I want Avast to tell me when there is an update but let me decide when to run it.
     I just canceled my Norton AV and am trying the Avast home free version.  Norton messed up my internet connection with their updates but they did not interrupt my sessions as much as Avast with updates. 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Program and VRDB Updates
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:08:18 AM »
The VRDB files are "virus recovery database" files. Avast makes copies of certain important system files, puts them in the chest for safe keeping; the process requires no input from the user, nor does involve any downloading. The files are copied from your own computer. You can set it to create a database when the computer is idle, or when the screensaver is running. Or you can disable it. (Not recommended; if one of the actual system files becomes corrupted Avast will not be able to replace it if a repair doesn't work.)
To modify: Right click the Avast icon in the system tray, mouse over "VRDB", the available settings, including an explanation, are there to see.
The updates you refer to as "program updates" are actually virus database, or definitions updates, and, as you have noted, are very small. This makes Avast ideal for dial up users.
Occasionally (there's just been one) the program itself updates. This update will be large, and on dial up, best set aside an hour or so for completion.
To modify how Avast updates, right click the tray icon, select "program settings", select "update basic" make the appropriate selection. I'd suggest having the database update automatically, and the program updates set to notify (Ask when update is available).
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

anothermack

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:15 PM »
hi all,

I think ccrider means 'program updates' and 'virus definition updates'.

I am also on dial-up and i recognise the frustration. 

Since quite some time and program updates ago, Avast has become increasingly resource-hungry in updating....

Also don't  forget the Webshield which is getting so big it might not get through the door soon.

Didn't make an own post about it because the last time i mentioned the words 'resources use' i got the advise to upgrade my RAM memory as well as the obligatory remark that Avast is 'light on resources, certainly compared to monsters like Norton/Symantec' etc etc

Well guys, from the comments i hear on the last Norton version... it's pretty light on resources! And their detection never has been really bad, has it?

Wake up Avast. Better make version 5 resource efficient again.  And please free and uncrippled as well. At least there you are not being threatened by Norton.

My heart is with you. Really.

Brgds,

anothermack
 ..avast home user since the avast32 days 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:09 PM »
Well I'm a dial-up user and the VPS updates are measured in KBs not MBs and a duration of seconds not minutes. I have no problem at all with the incremental updates.

Program updates do take longer as they are obviously larger, more so because I also participate in the beta trial so the subsequent conversion back to the regular program release was larger, about 6.7MB I believe, but still manageable even on dial-up.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:48:07 AM »

I am also on dial-up and the last VPS update took less than one minute with the average VPS taking just over one minute. I am usually surfing the net, at a forum, or doing other such thing and never notice the updates are taking place until the little window notifies me the update has occurred.

As David stated, program updates will take a little longer but even the update to 4.8.1282 was less than 4 minutes for me. This was while I was also somewhere on the internet.

A low amount of RAM will be a factor in these updates. Also, a computer burdened with too many start-up items running all the time will be another factor to consider. This will be especially true when there are too many start-up items and less than 1 gb of RAM. Reducing the amount of start-up items to a minimum and/or an increase in RAM will be a big help to not only updates to avast (or any other downloads) but also to the overall performamce of a computer.

sunrisecc

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
The VRDB files are "virus recovery database" files. Avast makes copies of certain important system files, puts them in the chest for safe keeping;

I am led to believe that the VRDB does not contain a copy of certain important system files - The VRDB contains info about those files and hence is rather small.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
I am led to believe that the VRDB does not contain a copy of certain important system files - The VRDB contains info about those files and hence is rather small.
Yes, VRDB has only info about exe files that allows recovering from certain infections.
Into Chest there are whole backups of very few system files.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:32:09 PM »
Yes, VRDB has only info about exe files that allows recovering from certain infections.
Into Chest there are whole backups of very few system files.
OK.
You live and learn.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 02:31:46 AM »
You live and learn.
Be sure of that ;)
The best things in life are free.