Author Topic: Windows Files Protection message & "uncertain" OS CD  (Read 8284 times)

safetynut

Windows Files Protection message & "uncertain" OS CD
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

I’ve been posting about an avast issue that I’ve received a lot of help on. So I may look (sound) familiar.

Now I have a problem that I think may be major, and I don’t know what to do.
I have a Dell Pentium III, Windows 2000 OS, use avast!, Spybot, and AdAware, and have a dial-up connection. If I had the money, I would have a newer computer and operating system and a broadband connection. I’m not hanging on to this for sentimental reasons. Also, I am not a computer wiz, just a struggling user/learner.

Background: I acquired my computer four years ago from a company that was selling their older pcs. When I got it, it had the Windows 2000 Operating system on it and was registered in my name. I was given a CD that had “Win 2K Pro” written on it. I don’t know how to use it, meaning one time when an ISP tech rep wanted me to insert it to try to do something he was trying to accomplish (over the phone, of course), it didn’t Run like it should have. Also, someone else once looked at it, and he wasn’t sure how to use it either, though he was a computer wiz.

Anyway, this year I have had a mess with malware (understatement). A guy who worked on cleaning up the pc had my computer during the summer, but though I sent the Windows 2000 CD to him with the computer, he didn’t use it when he reinstalled the operating system after scrubbing the hard drive. He said he used one he had because it had more of all of the subsequent information that he otherwise would have had to spend a long time trying to update into it. I was unsure about this, but he returned it to me this way, and that was his explanation. (This person is not available for help any longer. Let’s just say he disqualified himself.)

Since he’s returned the pc, I’ve still had recurring warnings of viruses and Trojans from the antivirus program. I’ve run several scans and moved all that were found to the Virus Chest, then deleted them after a while. From time to time, more warnings alert me to viruses, etc., and I move them to the chest. I don’t know if they are the same ones coming at me from hidden areas on the pc or new ones with the same names coming from the internet.

I am trying to deal with a number of tasks that need to be done: finding out why Microsoft .NET Framework update fails, why my Office updates fail, removing the Office version I have and replacing it, updating AdAware, and hooking up my printer, a process that should be easy, but long story short, it won’t be. Point is that I am in the midst of these things and much more and can’t seem to make headway, even after spending weeks trying to do so.

I’m relating all of this info because just now I got this message:

Windows Files Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows 2000 Professional CD now.

It has a More Information button which gives this info:

Possible Reasons:
-You have inserted the wrong CD (i.e., a different Windows 2000 product CD than the version installed).
-The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning.

I am panicked and don’t know what to do! I don’t have any CDs inserted. I don’t know how to use the Windows 2000 CD that I do have, as explained already. And even if I did, it’s not the one that was used to install the current OS.

I don’t know if viruses could cause this??

I don’t think it’s cause of the guy using another CD to install the OS since whenever the system is scanned by the Microsoft website for needed updates, they treat it like it’s okay.

The only other thing I can think of is that a couple of days ago I went into My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>Advanced Settings and selected “SHOWALL” to show hidden files and folders because I was trying to find a file that just had to be in the avast! folder but wasn’t showing up when I searched for it. I will set it back to hide the hidden files and folders. But I haven’t changed or deleted anything that I know of that could have replaced anything with “unrecognized versions.”

Except for using email, Word, and posting on the forum, I’m stuck cause I assume it’s dangerous to really do anything on the pc because of this warning. I normally turn off the pc at night. But I am afraid to turn it off now for fear of causing more problems by shutting it down and having it try to start up with this problem looming. Now I can’t press on with the computer work I must do. I just hope that using it for email or Word won’t make it worse.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem. I.e., do you know what this message means and what could have caused it? But even so, I don’t know how to remedy it using the Windows 2000 CD that I have—cause I don’t know how to use it.

I have other questions that I need help with, but I will start another post and ask a miscellaneous bunch of questions there, although until this problem is solved, I can’t doing anything else that relates to the other issues.

Thank you for any and all help.

safetynut

Re: Windows Files Protection message & "uncertain" OS CD
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:15:35 AM »
Any advice, insight, opinions, would be greatly appreciated. I fear my computer is, . . . I can't even say it. I don't have any means to replace it.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
Any advice, insight, opinions, would be greatly appreciated. I fear my computer is, . . . I can't even say it. I don't have any means to replace it.

Hi...

I'm not sure if you want to hear my advice! ;D

If the original Windows 2000 CD you received is not a "genuine" Microsoft copy, throw it away. Copies of Windows that were burned on blank CD that have whatever name of OS written on them with a sharpie/felt tip pen are illegal. If the copy you have is genuine, did it also come with the official COA, booklet and product key? If it as OEM version of Windows 2000, did the company assure you that the copy installed on the PC (when you received it) was the same as on the original CD?

If no on all counts then I can't give you advice for this particular CD and I would suggest you purchase a new retail (not OEM) copy of Windows 2000 (in the box) like this one here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Retail-Microsoft-MS-Windows-2000-Professional-Full_W0QQitemZ390009219273QQcategoryZ41882QQcmdZViewItem

I terms of the copy currently on your system, from what you've described, it's extremely likely that it has been illegally installed and should be removed from your system. :(

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:00:12 AM by ardvark »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
Or try Xubuntu for free:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

You can try it from the CD without changing anything on your computer.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
Hi...

Perhaps someone can comment on this if they have more information, but I have stopped supporting any Linux distributions until I can resolve whether or not drivers and other software (coded for and used in Linux) that is bound by EULA or other copyright restrictions is being illegally reverse engineered. ::)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:16:20 PM by ardvark »

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
Or try Xubuntu for free:

Last time I tried Xubuntu it made the hard drive un-bootable but the install CD would boot and appear to install along side XP Pro but after removing the CD then trying to reboot the dreaded:
Non System disk message appeared on the screen forcing me to FORMAT the hard drive and install XP Pro and the plethora of Updates.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »
Hi...

Perhaps someone can comment on this if they have more information, but I have stopped supporting any Linux distributions until I can resolve whether or not drivers and other software (coded for and used in Linux) that is bound by EULA or other copyright restrictions is being illegally reverse engineered. ::)

Best Regards...

Is reverse engineering illegal? Didn't Microsoft reverse MSDOS from CPM?  :P

Seriously, Linux driver developers seem to be going out of their way to avoid any sort of accusation of illegal copying, even under the strictest legal regimes.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/6692

Anyway, many reverse-engineered drivers are "blessed" by the vendors who "sprinkle our driver effort with the (ahem) holy penguin pee required to have it blessed sufficiently for kernel inclusion..."

The bottom line seems to be, if you re-implement rather than copy, it's legal.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »
Or try Xubuntu for free:

Last time I tried Xubuntu it made the hard drive un-bootable but the install CD would boot and appear to install along side XP Pro but after removing the CD then trying to reboot the dreaded:
Non System disk message appeared on the screen forcing me to FORMAT the hard drive and install XP Pro and the plethora of Updates.

Googling '"Non System disk" ubuntu installation' produces quite a few hits of people with the same problem, and possible solutions, including this one:

non-system or disk error, replace and strike any key

This means that de pc does not find a operating system or cd where he can boot from.

You have choosen the wrong harddisk to boot from, check your bios.
Or your harddisk is not made bootable , check with gparted bootcd,
Or no grub installed, reinstall with supergrub (bootable cd)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=657508

The Ubuntu forum can normally sort you out if you have any sort of problem.

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:44:40 AM »
Hi Frank...

Thank you for the link.

Best Regards...

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:59:46 AM »
This on copyright:

"Red Hat has led and continues to lead the open source industry in promoting innovation and making free and open source software easier to consume. This includes providing our clients the most comprehensive open source intellectual property protections through our Open Source Assurance program. Our confidence in our technology and protections for customers remains strong and has not wavered."

"The reality is that the community development approach of free and open source code represents a healthy development paradigm, which, when viewed from the perspective of pending lawsuits related to intellectual property, is at least as safe as proprietary software. We are also aware of no patent lawsuit against Linux. Ever. Anywhere."

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8388951773.html

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:30:12 AM »
This on copyright:

"Red Hat has led and continues to lead the open source industry in promoting innovation and making free and open source software easier to consume. This includes providing our clients the most comprehensive open source intellectual property protections through our Open Source Assurance program. Our confidence in our technology and protections for customers remains strong and has not wavered."

"The reality is that the community development approach of free and open source code represents a healthy development paradigm, which, when viewed from the perspective of pending lawsuits related to intellectual property, is at least as safe as proprietary software. We are also aware of no patent lawsuit against Linux. Ever. Anywhere."

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8388951773.html

Hi Frank...

Thank you again for your help in studying this issue.

Best Regards...

safetynut

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »
To all:
I have been sidetracked and not able to get back to the forum to read your posts until now. Please don't think me ungrateful for your replies. I still have the problem I originally wrote about from last week. Things are at a standstill about that at the moment.

I am unclear about all that is mentioned in your replies--my ignorance on such matters abounds. Let me just say that I had no intention in either case of obtaining illegal software. It's too involved to explain it all, but it is true that my intent is always to be honest. My uninformed actions and panic-ridden states have evidently caused me to have results other than I expected or wanted at times.

I have many questions to ask about what you've mentioned here. In addition, I think I will have to also post in the Virus/Worms forum because I fear the problem that caused the Windows Files Protection message is the result of virus(es).

I hope to return to this post, etc., tomorrow.

ardvark

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:35:24 AM »
Let me just say that I had no intention in either case of obtaining illegal software. It's too involved to explain it all, but it is true that my intent is always to be honest. My uninformed actions and panic-ridden states have evidently caused me to have results other than I expected or wanted at times.

Hi safetynut...

I apologize if I seemed like I was pointing a finger in your face, I have no reason to doubt your sincerity or honesty. It's just that software piracy is something I take extremely seriously and wanted you to know the facts as I know them to be. :)

I read a bit from the "last posts" in your profile and was able to get an understanding of your situation. At your convenience and if you would like, we can first go about determining the "nature" of the Windows 2000 CD the company gave you and what the contents of it are. I'm curious why those whom you spoke with about (and I assume showed the CD to) thought of it as a mystery. ???

I wish you the very best in your job search and I hope we can help you get your problem resolved quickly so that your computer no longer taxes your time and energy. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:03:57 AM by ardvark »

safetynut

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
ardvark:
How very kind of you. My sister has just told me of someone at her church who may be able to give me some kind of help, but at this point I don't know the extent of their knowledge, experience, or the time they can devote to helping me.

As described, I have left the pc on for a week now-- not my normal procedure, which is to turn it off at night. (If it were the time of year when we have thunderstorms, it wouldn't be possible to leave it on like this.) But I don't know if it is unstable, as the message says, to the degree that it would restart. Do you have an opinion about that?

Also, I did try to insert the OS CD that I got from the company I purchased the pc from (no there was no package, it was just sitting in the CD-ROM drive and has Win2K Pro written on it), but I got the message that "I had inserted the wrong CD," which I expected since I know it is not the one used for the current installation of the operating system, as explained.

And what of the fact that this problem has probably been caused by viruses?? How to deal with that? And you may have seen somewhere in my posts—can’t remember if I mentioned it—that I don’t have a means of doing backups (only have a few floppies that won’t even begin to hold my document files, much less the harddrive or registry files, which I wouldn’t know how to backup anyway, . . .). This problem complicates being able to deal with infected files or even safely uninstalling/installing programs, . . .

I have to email my sister about the person/people she thinks may be able to help. By the way, she spoke to one of them yesterday and told him about the need to insert the OS CD per the Windows Files Protection message, and he said maybe I didn't need to do that. But how can that not be done when system files must be restored??

I have so many tasks that need to be accomplished to make the pc safe and to make it usable without constantly having to spend all the time in relation to it fixing, updating, uninstalling/installing, figuring out problems, etc. I need and want to understand all that must be done so that I can both avoid as many difficulties in the future as possible as well as handle things myself as much as is viable.

Many things you will tell me to do I will have to ask for clarification about—I warn you.

I don’t know exactly when I can get back to you to do what you suggested about the original OS CD. Would inserting that just to “check it out” be safe while there’s another OS, so to speak, running?

Please don’t give up on me, no matter how long it takes for me to respond. I’m torn in many directions and under a lot of stress. Also, before posting I have to think through all that I need to ask (a lot). It all takes so much time. If I have “local” help, that would probably conflict with my ability to post. But I know I would still need the opinion of you avast experts on things—regardless—sooner or later. Even now there are probably things I could ask, but I have to do some other necessary tasks and must go.

So please have patience and don’t think I’m not appreciative. If anything gets solved, I will report back as soon as I can.

ardvark

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 02:57:41 AM »
Also, I did try to insert the OS CD that I got from the company I purchased the pc from (no there was no package, it was just sitting in the CD-ROM drive and has Win2K Pro written on it), but I got the message that "I had inserted the wrong CD," which I expected since I know it is not the one used for the current installation of the operating system, as explained.

Hi safetynut...

Please do not worry, I have no intention of giving up on you, just continue to keep us up-to-date on any progress. :)

The concern I have is that the original CD you were given is not an original and thus illegal. Does the CD have "Win2k Pro" written on it with a pen of some kind or is it an official factory copy with the words "Do not make illegal copies of this disc" on it? If the CD is a burned copy, then the error message could be caused by a "bad burn" of the software or missing files that were not transferred from the original legitimate CD.

Whether I can help with your particular copy depends on the information I relayed in my initial post. A possible option here is to get the necessary system information (model name and number and the serial number) and contact Dell to see if they could send you a restore CD for your system. If you could post this information, I could inquire about that possibility. Did the company you bought the system from the original purchaser? If so, what is their business name?

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:03:44 AM by ardvark »