Author Topic: Wait again ?  (Read 4216 times)

hines232

Wait again ?
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
What "cash" enables u  and helps load a web sight in again, faster than the first time u loaded it in ? (Internet Temp or History). all of a sudden it's like I've never been there before.  I will load in a web sight and them either reload or refresh, and it all has to reload in again !!Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:11:30 PM by hines232 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Wait again ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
It is cache not cash and the temporary internet files retains copies of files/pages that you have visited to help load quicker if you return to the same page. The history just keeps a history of the links you have visited.

However, depending on your connection method (broadband) you may see little or no help in a browser cache. Some web sites or should I say site designers negate the worth of the cache, by having no cache and or a low refresh after x duration set so it is of little use for sites that do that.

Nowadays with the majority of people on broadband (not me) the cache is is much less worth.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »
Thanks DavidR, I still have 56k dial up. This seems to have just started, and getting worse. ??? Will try to clear some $$$. Ha,Ha. ! ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »
You're welcome.

Seeing you are using IE6 may be a factor, whilst you can't use firefox 3.0.4 with winME the last version of firefox 2.0 (0.18 I think) might be quicker or Opera if that runs on winME are likely to be faster than IE6. Not to mention more secure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:20 AM »
I think you are right (IE6). tried opera a year or so ago, and had problems with it. Thanks for the update !!.

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:52:08 AM »
Hi all...

Here's a link where different firefox versions can be obtained, including 2.0.0.18...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/4879/

Hope this helps. :)

Best Regards...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 05:14:46 AM »
For Win9x folks ... please remember that installing older versions of Firefox is a short term and dead end effort. 

Firefox will not be providing (for the long term) security updates to the Firefox versions that will work with the Win9x operating systems. 

For your own security you should choose a browser that is supported in Win9x (ie not Firefox) and will provide future security updates.

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:05:01 AM »
For Win9x folks ... please remember that installing older versions of Firefox is a short term and dead end effort. 

Hi Alan...

I'm afraid this is the case with almost all software that can still be installed on Windows 9x, if not completely defunct already. :(

According to these two articles, it doesn't appear IE6 installed on any system with a 9x OS is receiving any support...

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean24

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps/#Internet_Explorer

Aside from possibly Opera, what full featured, plug-in compatible browser out there still supports Windows 9x and will receive security updates for the long term?

Best Regards...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
Hello again ardvark,

Aside from possibly Opera, what full featured, plug-in compatible browser out there still supports Windows 9x and will receive security updates for the long term?

I think your assessment is correct.  I am sorry to say that Win9x is now also a dead end.  Believe me I recognize the economic realities of the present environment but Win9x users are going to have to either take the declining opportunities for secure products, or be extremely conservative in their browsing habits or perhaps save their pennies and look for the least expensive upgrade to a currently supported operating system in the coming or future sales.

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 05:08:53 AM »
Believe me I recognize the economic realities of the present environment but Win9x users are going to have to either take the declining opportunities for secure products, or be extremely conservative in their browsing habits or perhaps save their pennies and look for the least expensive upgrade to a currently supported operating system in the coming or future sales.

Hi Alan...

In the long term and for those who are security conscious, I'm afraid your last option will be the only viable one. :(

Best Regards...