Author Topic: Solved: Avast Update won't start - Firewall issue?  (Read 2376 times)

harrys

Solved: Avast Update won't start - Firewall issue?
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:04:55 AM »
Post Re-edited.

I have been using Online-Armor for a firewall with Avast version 4.8.1299. Avast was installed before the firewall. It's been fine.

The new Avast update won't start up after a reboot unless I kill the firewall.  The PC loads the firewall and then stops before the Avast icons come up. Killing Online Armor lets the PC finish booting and I get Avast.

I did a system restore to get back to the earlier version of Avast and the system worked again.
I then let the old Avast update and the same thing happened. I thought that uninstalling Avast and downloading the latest Avast issue might be a work-around. But when I did that, I guess I got the old version 4.8.1299.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should uninstall the firewall and reinstall it over the latest Avast.

Final Edit: The above worked.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:49:52 PM by harrys »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Update won't start - Firewall issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »
OA has some issues with avast WebShield... and maybe this is a new problem now.
Did you set to delay avast services loading at startup under Program settings > Troubleshooting tab of settings?
The best things in life are free.

harrys

Re: Avast Update won't start - Firewall issue?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »
Update:

I uninstalled Online Armor and let the Avast update happen. Computer booted OK. Then I turned off Avast, and reinstalled Online Armor. Online Armor goes into learning mode on a new install, so it accepted Avast. System boots.

Problem solved, I hope.

Offline Geoffo

Re: Solved: Avast Update won't start - Firewall issue?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »
I also have Online Armor and have just updated the latest Avast prog. Before I did though, I put OA into 'learning mode', and the prog update went through with no hitches. I've had problems before when I haven't used 'learning mode' which resulted in extremely long startups.
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,