Author Topic: Avast update stops my machine from booting  (Read 20345 times)

Zach45

Re: Avast update stops my machine from booting
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »
Hello David,

I apologize for being short but I do not have a great deal of time to install and un-install new updates that fail to work. That being said I will attempt to remember all of the items that failed to work properly when I attempt the update.

1. The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error
2. My boot time increased by 4-5 fold.
3. My computer speakers failed to work.
4. My network printer drivers failed to work.
5. Two of my boot up and log on message groups failed to log on properly.

Those are the things that I can remember at the present time. Everything was working properly prior to preforming the update and everything failed on the first mandatory reboot. I preformed another reboot and still had the same problem.

Then I attempted to correct the first error as described on your web site and that failed to correct that problem and all of the rest also remained.

I then reverted back to the original version of the software and everything is fine once again.

I trade in the stock market every day of the week and have little desire at the end of a long day to continue to problem solve on my 5 computers. Once I find something that works well I tend not to change it. The reason for my change from AVG to AVAST was I had read that your product was a very highly rated product and used less overhead than AVG. I found that to be true and like the product but I do not like upgrade headaches.

Thank You for your time.

Zach

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 12:13:58 AM »
1. Outside of the avast FAQ for AAVM error actions - Commonly this is due to either another AV or remnants of one still on your system.
So I don't know how effective the avg removal tool will have been or if you used this one - AVG Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

2. When Online Armor is installed it blocks avast processes which have been updated after a program update, this can lead to increased boot time. Because OA doesn't notify that it is blocked you aren't aware of the reason. People used either learning mode or install mode to have OA allow the changed to avast processes after a program update. I don't know if you have the latest version of OA which was also recently released.

3. I can't understand that one at all sorry.

4. This too is a common issue with another AV or remnants of one still on your system.

5. Not sure about this one either, don't know if this is possibly related to 1 and 4 above.

I will pre-empt your question but it worked before and you removed avg, it works now with an older build but not 1296, but I have seen stranger unexplained things but the update could be the catalyst that find things previously not found.

I appreciate you don't want to spend time getting things to work, but the unfortunate fact of life is someone does have to help pin down the problems, there are a lot of people here prepared to help but they would need you to help too.

Whilst I don't know if 4.8.1296 might help resolve any issues, but updating just one system could answer that question. I don't know if you use hard disk imaging software to back-up your systems, if so you could do a back-up first update to 4.8.1296 and if it doesn't resolve it rollback using the image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zach45

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 03:04:46 AM »
Hi David,

"1. Outside of the avast FAQ for AAVM error actions - Commonly this is due to either another AV or remnants of one still on your system.
So I don't know how effective the avg removal tool will have been or if you used this one - AVG Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one."

As I stated in one of my previous posts this is what I used to get rid of any remnants of AVG; plus I did a manual search through the HD and Registry just to be sure there was nothing left.

I will try to download the update file and install it after I run the file that cleans all of the previous traces of the existing one from my HD. I other words a clean install.

Thanks,

Zach

Zach45

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 03:56:51 AM »
Hi David,

I have the updated version installed and running without any problems. I did a clean install and before I started the install I put Online Armor in the learning mode which it remained in even through the reboot. I never saw an Online Armor alert through the entire install.

Thanks for all of you help.

Zach

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Otter

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 05:45:42 PM »
Tried the dmserver.dll fix.  I have the version everyone is saying to use already installed. No joy

The version number and even the timestamp of the version that Avast! didn't like were identical to the one it did like. With the one it didn't like - if you right click on "My Computer", then go to "Manage" then open up storage and click on "Disk Management" the drives don't appear.
As far as I can see someone did a good job of trojaning the file, but I can't guess where the trojan came from and I can't find out what the trojan was supposed to do.