Author Topic: Problems with latest update dep_strFreeString  (Read 15745 times)

bthatche

Problems with latest update dep_strFreeString
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:39:48 AM »
Folks,
    I recently accepted the latest software update when prompted and now Avast refuses to start.
I get the error message "ashAvast.exe - Entry Point Not Found"
"The procedure entry point dep_strFreeString could not be located in the dynamic link library aswCmnOS.dll"

I tried a complete uninstall & reinstall of 4.8, folloed by accepting the update again & I have the same problem - I guess I'll stick with 4.8.

This is on an XP SP3 box.

Any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problems with latest update dep_strFreeString
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:36:08 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this does not help, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
Hi, can you search on the disk if they are any other copies of the aswCmnOs.dll in any other folder than C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\avast4 ? Thanks. Lukas.

faust

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:46:59 AM »
I am experiencing the exact same error with the most recent update.   Using XPPro SP3.

In fact, I also experienced a similar error (I believe a different dll file was indicated) with the previous program update.  Last time I was unable to repair or even uninstall the corrupted update, so I had to resort to using the avast uninstaller to remove the program.  I then downloaded the new version and reinstalled from scratch, which was a huge time investment since I lost all my options.

Well, this time I once again tried to repair the update via "add or remove programs" with no luck.  The repair program reports that the current version is 4.8.1229 and the new version is 4.8.1290, so I assume that the automatic update never completed successfully.  Manual update via "add or remove" fails with a "There was an error while changing the product configuration" error notice.

I would go through the process of removal and installing the new update from scratch, but it appears that version 4.8.1290 has not yet made its way to CNET's download site, since it is reporting (and I confirmed after download) that it only has the previous version "Avast Home Edition 4.8.1229.80923" for download.

So I wait, with a non-functioning Avast, until someone gets their act together.

faust

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »
A couple more things:

1. I checked, and this is indeed the same error that I got with the last auto update.

2. I have only one version of aswCmnOs.dll, in the expected directory.

Nicket

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »
I have the same problem. (Windows XP Pro Sp3) I have tried to unistall Avast but get the reply that "Avast self protection" hinders this action. What ever I try I get some kind of reply that tell that this action is not ok....

What shall I do?

faust

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
Nicket,

Have you tried using the Avast uninstall program found here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

In other news:

I found the updated file for version 4.8.1290 on avast's site here: http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

But before I uninstall the old and replace with the new, is there some way that I can save and transfer my settings?  Will saving and copying over avast4.ini be sufficient?

Nicket

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »
Yes, I have tried to uninstall the program this way too... With the same depressing result.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:03:06 PM »
avast4.ini and avast4.db (in the avast\data folder).

BTW there will be yet another avast program update tonight so you may actually hold fire till tomorrow.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

faust

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Vlk!

If there is any other info I can provide in helping debug this issue, let me know.

Nicket, I suppose you've already tried a restore pt?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
BTW there will be yet another avast program update tonight so you may actually hold fire till tomorrow.
More info please... what's on the way? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
Nothing connected with aswCmnOS.dll being not updated, at least as far as I know... ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
<snip>
I would go through the process of removal and installing the new update from scratch, but it appears that version 4.8.1290 has not yet made its way to CNET's download site, since it is reporting (and I confirmed after download) that it only has the previous version "Avast Home Edition 4.8.1229.80923" for download.

So I wait, with a non-functioning Avast, until someone gets their act together.

What is wrong from downloading direct from avast, the servers are usually faster ?
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:27:41 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bthatche

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 02:23:24 AM »
Sorry for starting the thread & then running away  :)

I only have one copy of aswCmnOs.dll on my system - I did try a repair, but it fails with the same message.

In response to the last post - I did originally download direct from Avast, but that version failed to install (just says there was an error with the install & points you to the erroe log). The version from Avast was 28,358Kb & the version from cNet which worked was 26,819kb

Bheers

Brian

bthatche

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 02:24:11 AM »
Or maybe....

Cheers

Brian