Author Topic: Settings in Avast Home - want to disable scanning every webpage  (Read 5939 times)

brownsfan019

Settings in Avast Home - want to disable scanning every webpage
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
I am new to Avast Home edition. I noticed that my internet browsing - Internet Explorer and Firefox - is slowing down and/or just hanging while the Avast globe thing is spinning. I assume that means it's scanning every page I look at and I do not need that at all.

My question is - how do I tell Avast to not run and check every webpage I visit?

Thanks!

sded

Re: Settings in Avast Home - want to disable scanning every webpage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
Right click the icon, and select "On-Access Protections Control" and find the Web Shield.  You can either terminate it completely, or go to "customize" and select a subset of the files coming across the web to be scanned under "Web Scanning".  You will still be protected by the Avast! Standard Shield when you open or store a file, just not as the data is being passed to your Web Browser.

brownsfan019

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
Right click the icon, and select "On-Access Protections Control" and find the Web Shield.  You can either terminate it completely, or go to "customize" and select a subset of the files coming across the web to be scanned under "Web Scanning".  You will still be protected by the Avast! Standard Shield when you open or store a file, just not as the data is being passed to your Web Browser.

Thanks!!

:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
@ brownsfan019
Whilst disabling the web shield may improve matters, it is treating a symptom and not treating the cause.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What is your Firewall ?
Some also scan web content, so it would be being scanned twice slowing loading or possibly clashing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brownsfan019

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »
@ brownsfan019
Whilst disabling the web shield may improve matters, it is treating a symptom and not treating the cause.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What is your Firewall ?
Some also scan web content, so it would be being scanned twice slowing loading or possibly clashing.

I did a clean install of windows and put Avast on per a recommendation. I left everything set at default. My browsers are cruising now w/o web shield running. I don't visit many sites, so I don't need to have every little page I click checked. I get why it's there, but it's overkill for me and was severely slowing my browsing down.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »
Well if you answered the question I asked about your firewall it could well be that it is a dual scanning or possible conflict.

Personally I see no impact at all on browsing with the web shield on and that is the case for the greatest majority of people, from dial-up (me) to fast broadband connections. Which is why all the questions as this isn't normal behaviour.

What other security software do you have ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brownsfan019

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »
Well if you answered the question I asked about your firewall it could well be that it is a dual scanning or possible conflict.

Personally I see no impact at all on browsing with the web shield on and that is the case for the greatest majority of people, from dial-up (me) to fast broadband connections. Which is why all the questions as this isn't normal behaviour.

What other security software do you have ?

Firewall = router
Other software = spybot, threatfire

I run spybot & threatfire on other machines w/ no issues. This machine is the only one I run Avast on and now that I turned the browsing thing off, my browsers are cruising once again.

Result = Avast was slowing browsing down dramatically

Problem solved!

;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »
Did you try uninstalling Threatfire for a while and test? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
There have been a number of topics where Threatfire has been causing so strange issues.

Where there is a conflict, etc. removing one element of that might resolve the problem but it doesn't pin down the true culprit.

If it were avast only then this forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree and that certainly isn't the case. So what is going on in your system isn't happening with the greatest majority of avast users.

Also what version of avast are you using ?
The latest is 4.8.1290, and that resolved a problem with some users experiencing 100% CPU activity with the web shield. Whilst you didn't mention that as a problem, however it would think have an impact on browsing.

brownsfan019

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »
Did you try uninstalling Threatfire for a while and test? ???

I have not b/c Threatfire has been running fine on other machines (that do not have Avast installed).

brownsfan019

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »
There have been a number of topics where Threatfire has been causing so strange issues.

Where there is a conflict, etc. removing one element of that might resolve the problem but it doesn't pin down the true culprit.

If it were avast only then this forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree and that certainly isn't the case. So what is going on in your system isn't happening with the greatest majority of avast users.

Also what version of avast are you using ?
The latest is 4.8.1290, and that resolved a problem with some users experiencing 100% CPU activity with the web shield. Whilst you didn't mention that as a problem, however it would think have an impact on browsing.

I just updated to the most recent version of Avast. I'll give it a go w/ Threatfire and see how it goes.

If nothing else, I am fine w/ no scanning of every internet page I am on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »
OK, lets see how it goes, fingers crossed.

Interesting on from another topic:
PC Tools has released Threatfire 4.0.0.10 indicating a fix for (among others) its behavior when running with avast!

I'm going to give it a wait until others report it's OK.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:58:23 PM by DavidR »

sded

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:52:24 AM »
I have never used Threatfire, but downloaded 4.0.0.10 to see what it was all about.  Browsing seems OK with Opera, Firefox, IE on Vista Ultimate SP1+Avast with web shield + OA without web shield.