Author Topic: Replacing one of the spoken alerts  (Read 3195 times)

Karl Engel

Replacing one of the spoken alerts
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:27:15 PM »
My 4 year old gets scared by the computer suddenly announcing "Virus database has been updated" if I've left the speakers on. I found the wav file and thought I'd replace it with something she recorded herself, for fun. I keep getting "access denied" which makes sense for security reasons, but is there a way I can replace this wav?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Replacing one of the spoken alerts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »
Temporarily disable the avast self-protection in the Troubleshooting section of the avast Program Settings. No need to restart, after replacing the file then turn on the protection again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
It will be better point the sound setting to another file, otherwise, the file will be replaced during the updates and repair operations (afaik).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:58:34 AM »
Good job you didn't get a virus alert when she was in earshot.

Rather than replace or delete the .wav file which might get replaced on an update (I don't know that for certain), but you can disable the avast sounds without having to temporarily disable the self-defence module.

Program Settings (right click the avast icon), Sounds or Update (Basic), Details... button, Silent.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »
It will be better point the sound setting to another file, otherwise, the file will be replaced during the updates and repair operations (afaik).

Tech I assume you were suggesting the Windows Control Panel > Sounds > Sounds tab to redirect the VPS update message to the new wav file.  Is that it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:32:44 AM »
I think this is what is being suggested as that wouldn't be removing or changing the file which may be corrected.

Pointing it at something like the TaDa.wav windows sound.

From the Program Settings, Sounds:
Settings button
Program Events: avast! antivirus
Automatic VPS update - Browse button and select a different sound, see image.

That just points to a different sound not deleting the file, but it would still leave other noisy sounds, so personally I think it would be simplest just to disable avast sounds.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:41:34 PM »
Tech I assume you were suggesting the Windows Control Panel > Sounds > Sounds tab to redirect the VPS update message to the new wav file.  Is that it?
Yes, you've got it.
The best things in life are free.