Author Topic: Can't upload from Suspect file without warnings  (Read 13010 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't upload from Suspect file without warnings
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
You don't disable the router firewall, it will take care of the inbound firewall actions to the point that PC Tools firewall would have nothing to do but possibly catch something that may get past the router firewall.

The PC Tools firewall would take care of the outbound connections and the router would be none the wiser that something had been blocked before it gets to the router.

The two firewalls are operating on different levels one the router, outside your system and PC Tools firewall on, within your system and never the twain shall meet. So you shouldn't have any issue just install the software firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »
David,
  Thanks so much for all your help and advice.  I'm going to use PCTools because on the chart it looks to be the easiest to use and highest rated.

I only have one more very important question about Avast ( I promise for now--LOL).  I do not have my Suspect files in the C drives set up with the *.
Should they be identical to Standard Shield in that respect. If so I guess I thought Windows would not allow a symbol like that to be used.

Hope you are having a good day,
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »
And you shouldn't as windows would stop you doing it - That isn't part of the folder name that is the wildcard that is used only in the avast exclusions and that wildcard depending on its position can have a different effect.

Your folder name would be Suspect (or suspect it doesn't matter windows isn't case sensitive).

To exclude the suspect folder in C:\suspect\ the \ backslash is a folder divider so the * after that backslash excludes anything after the C:\suspect\ folder path in windows, that could be more sub folders or files.
e.g. C:\suspect\folder1\anyfile.txt or C:\suspect\folder2\anyfilename.txt or C:\suspect\asuspectfile.exe or C:\suspect\suspectfile2.exe, would all be excluded from scans by placing C:\suspect\* in the avast exclusions list.

The wildcard saves you having to create a new exclusion entry for every file in that folder, so if you have three files in the suspect folder and you didn't use the * wildcard in your exclusion lists you would have to create three entries and not one with the use of the wildcard character *.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security