Author Topic: Virus database query?  (Read 8278 times)

sanctuaryforever

Re: Virus database query?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »
about the skin changing it to skinless didnt resolve the issue and I have always thought the fan wasnt performing well over the last few days, thanks for your advice

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
sanctuaryforever, I can't see that lines... mine is like David's one.
But what is the relationship between this problem and the computer fans? ???
The best things in life are free.

olddog

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 02:13:38 AM »
Sanctuaryforever,

I too have the lines you are talking about, so you are not alone. I don't know whether it is a quirk of the video card, but perhaps for comparison mine is a Geforce 7300GS PCI graphics card. I probably would never have noticed these lines (which appear part of the grid or border structure) without you having mentioned them, but I'm certainly not going to worry about them. I wouldn't think they have anything to do with the database entries themselves.

Hope this helps

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:46:29 AM »
I notice that I too have the lines in the top of half of the page whenever I scroll down page by page.  If I drag the slider down then the lines do not appear. 

The condition is identical on two XP systems here.  The systems have different brands of graphics card (and neither is the same as as reported by olddog). 

However it seems to be just a cosmetic issue and I doubt it has anything to do with overheating either.   

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
can you guys perhaps post a screenshot so we can compare?

my graphics card is ATI Radeon 9250 (old, I know), the reason I mentioned the fans is that I suspect my system is clogged with dust and I thought it maybe overheating

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »
I can't see a relationship with the fans  ???

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »
Here's mine:

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 10:52:01 PM »
alanrf, is your system running fine (ie free of overheating factors) its just that mine is not so well maintained but if yours is then that rules out maintenance having an affect on this graphics issue

Tech what I mean is my system is quite dusty (internally) and this would cause heat build up which in turn could be making my graphics card overheat then that would cause graphical issues, I'm just ruling out possibilities thats all
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:53:52 PM by sanctuaryforever »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 11:00:49 PM »
So, VDB-1.PNG is different from VDB-2.PNG in the same computer?

Tech what I mean is my system is quite dusty (internally) and this would cause heat build up which in turn could be making my graphics card overheat then that would cause graphical issues, I'm just ruling out possibilities thats all
I see...

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
If alanrf's computer is in tip-top condition then I can rule out maintenance as an issue, Tech how should I proceed on cleaning my computer of dust (ie motherboard, fan etc) as I am a beginner when it comes to safely cleaning computer components, thanks

the reason I keep asking for cleaning advice is that if I clean my computer then I can see if this solves my graphics issue, any help is greatly appreciated

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Tech how should I proceed on cleaning my computer of dust (ie motherboard, fan etc) as I am a beginner when it comes to safely cleaning computer components, thanks
I will clean with a dry cloth that does not left traces behind, won't try to clean any card... just the outside package (methalic) and the fan itself. Of course, everything I'll do without the computer turned on... I'll Google hardware cleaning also ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 11:37:11 PM »
The same condition occurs on two XP systems here. 

My main system is a relatively recent Dell machine and it was cleaned during an on-site visit by a Dell technician (compressed air) a couple of months ago.  The other machine I cleaned myself (compressed air) when replacing a DVD-ROM drive about a month ago.   

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »
thanks for the help, I will try to clean the dust out as it needs doing anyway