Author Topic: Ubuntu 8.04 & Avast  (Read 8150 times)

nospmas1939

Ubuntu 8.04 & Avast
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:01 AM »
Hello All!!

I am a complete newbie to Linux.  I have d'loaded Avast Home edition and having been a Windows user since version 1.0, I cannot see or find the Avast icon in the Sys Tray, nor does it update itself (as in Windows XP).

I have seen somewhere that it IS installed, but I don't know how to access it so as to configure it.

Should I refer this to the Linux community or can someone in this forum help me.

Any assistance would be welcome.

Thanks.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 & Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:50:43 AM »
Hi nospmas1939,

http://www.debianadmin.com/avast-antivirus-for-ubuntu-desktop.html

The Linux version is an on-demand scanner, so there's no icon or updates unless you actually run the program.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

nospmas1939

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:42:01 AM »
Hello again FreewheelinFrank,

Followed your instructions and have now got it installed, updated and running.  Thank you very much!!!

I just ran it on my spare Ubuntu PC and the "Results of last scan" list, showed hundreds of entries in which the 3-column list had "Error while scanning" in the "Result" column for all the entries.  The "Operation" column showed a variety of errors: [1] No such device; [2] Permission denied; [3] Invalid argument; and, [4] ARC archive is corrupted.

In all cases, when I right-clicked any of those entries, I got an Avast! Error window saying: "An error occured in avast! engine.  No such file or directory".  The concurrent open 2nd window is the one that shows: Move/Rename, Delete, Move to chest, Repair (which is greyed out).

I am now totally confused.  What does all this mean, and is there a correction that I should perform?  What do you make of it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:09:38 AM »
What exactly were you trying to scan?

You really only need to scan the 'Home' directory in Ubuntu, as other areas are inaccessible to malware. I seem to remember that trying to scan other areas produces errors like these.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:36 PM »
What exactly were you trying to scan?

You really only need to scan the 'Home' directory in Ubuntu, as other areas are inaccessible to malware. I seem to remember that trying to scan other areas produces errors like these.

Yes, "permission denied" is pretty common when user tries to scan the whole root-tree. But, the "ARC corrupted" is strange, could you, nospmas, send us the culprit-file for further analysis? thanks in advance,

pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)