Author Topic: Avast home free not updating the program  (Read 8538 times)

wsx123

Avast home free not updating the program
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:24:25 AM »
My Windows xp SP3 computer running Avast home free updates the virus database ok but the program never updates itself.
I have program updates and virus database updates set to automatic.
I never know if there is an update unless I see it on these forums and I'm thankful for that.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Avast home free not updating the program
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:50:09 PM »
My Windows xp SP3 computer running Avast home free updates the virus database ok but the program never updates itself.
I have program updates and virus database updates set to automatic.
I never know if there is an update unless I see it on these forums and I'm thankful for that.

The program update is spread over 7 days, that's because to spread the traffic to the update servers.

The servers could problably not handle all the pressure if all avast users update the program at the same time, so that's why there is the 7-days-update-cycle.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
Which is your avast program version? The latest is 4.8.1296.
The best things in life are free.

wsx123

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
4.8.1296 is what I have now-I had to manually update it.
My program settings are set to automatic program and iAVS updates but the program never seems to update itself.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »
The default setting for Program Updates is Ask, though that shouldn't stop it happening if you set it to Automatic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wsx123

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
I will try putting it back on ask for program updates and see what happens.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 7 days and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the iAVS checks. Every avast installation has a unique, randomly generated GUID ("general unique identifier") associated with it (it is generated during installation). This ID is random, but fixed. They use this value to determine when the updater pops up on YOUR machine, i.e., the program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update.

Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

wsx123

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
here it is-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »
Strange, I see no problems in your log...

wsx123

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »
Maybe I did not wait long enough before I did the manual update.

spif

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:27 PM »
 :-\  I have the same problem. it's the third time it happens. only my version of Avast is 4.8.1229 . I also have everything setup for automatic download and it's always failing.  :P I'm getting tired of reinstalling avast...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
Well start by downloading the latest version of avast 4.8.1296 (so you aren't starting with an old version) and do a clean reinstall.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spif

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 04:21:21 PM »
Thanks  for your help :D  I did it and for now everything's fine   :) already detected 2 virus  :-\ we'll see how it runs this week - I'll keep you updated.

I would also like to know what other freeware programs to protect the computer are compatible with this one, for I've been noticing here in the forum sometimes people have problems because they have other programs running...and avast is not enough to protect from everything, right?  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

No single program will give 100% protection.
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, periodically.
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.

Welcome to the forums.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »
avast is not enough to protect from everything, right?  ???
Not a software is perfect, but avast protects you against all kind of malwares (from spywares to rootkits) and the protection is very huge.
If you want other on-demand scanners, the two David posted are very good. Another option is SpywareTerminator, but it is not as good as the other two.