Author Topic: Email Scanner Service on Zone Alarm  (Read 19054 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Email Scanner Service on Zone Alarm
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:27:28 AM »
Am I right in saying that the Avast Email Scanner Service is for the Internet Mail when using Microsoft Outlook and the Outlook Exchange plugin?

I thought I had seen the icon for the Email Scanner Service in the ZA list of program icons, perhaps I am wrong as I don't see it now, but that would be cause I use Microsoft Outlook only.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:06:40 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Styx

Re: Email Scanner Service on Zone Alarm
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:06:26 AM »
From Avast Help :

Internet Mail - Provider Settings

Internet Mail provider is used to protect the e-mail processed by other mail clients than MS Outlook or MS Exchange.

Outlook/Exchange - Provider Settings

This setting affects MS Outlook and MS Exchange mail clients only. For setting up the other mail clients, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc., see Internet Mail Provider.

So you should run the Outlook Provider and probably do not need the Internet Mail Provider.

Run ashPopWz.exe  in Alwil/Avast and it will tell up if you need to run Internet Mail Provider.
(This is the Pop Wizard.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:18:24 AM by Styx »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
I ran the ashPopWz.exe.

As I only use the Microsoft Outlook Email Client I went for the manual check, and excluded Outlook Express.

Would this be correct, and should I see the Avast Email Scanner Service icon in Zone Alarm everytime I open Microsoft Outlook? because at the moment I don't see it.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Styx

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »
Start Outlook,,,, DOUBLE CLICK on the AVAST ICON and make sure the Internet Mail Shield is
TERMINATED (you don't need it). And make sure that the Outlook Shield is Running.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
you don't need it
In fact it can detect spambots infections that use your computer to send spam.
I use Outlook 2007 and never disabled the Internet Mail provider as both, the Outlook plugin and the Mail provider could work side-by-side.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »
you don't need it
I use Outlook 2007 and never disabled the Internet Mail provider as both, the Outlook plugin and the Mail provider could work side-by-side.

So the only time I should ever see the email scanner service as being activated in Zone Alarm is if and when I opened Outlook Express?

Have I got that right?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
So the only time I should ever see the email scanner service as being activated in Zone Alarm is if and when I opened Outlook Express?
Or Thunderbird or any other pop3/smtp email program...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
Or Thunderbird or any other pop3/smtp email program...

I think you will always see it in the ZA list because it will always be listening/waiting for traffic on the email ports, that is its job. So the fact that nothing happens to be using it wouldn't switch it off. It will always be active (depends on your interpretation of active but the service would be running) waiting for some Non MS Outlook (because that is using Outlook/Exchange) email client to try and send or receive email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »
I think you will always see it in the ZA list because it will always be listening/waiting for traffic on the email ports, that is its job.

It depends what you mean by the ZA list, I wasn't referring to the list were you can add or remove them, I was talking about the list of current programs that are running or have been executed since boot up, top right hand corner beside the padlock and called PROGRAMS.

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »
Well it depends on what list 'you' mean after all it is your firewall and I haven't used ZA not for many years.

So based on the list you mention I believe deleting them from the list would only generate a pop-up the next time it loads asking is it OK, etc. That is the Program Control that maintains a database of programs run previously so if something changes in them it could be they have been updated or could have been hijacked (code injected into them) to use for another purpose.

This in some firewalls is called anti-leak protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
Tech said:

I am just about as certain as I can be that this is not true for Win9x systems such as Nightshade is using.

The spambot detection relies on the transparent intercept for port 25 that only works in NT based systems.

So the Internet Mail provider is useless for Win9x users except when used with specific clients that have been modified by the Mail wizard to have proxies set.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:19:52 PM by alanrf »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »
Tech said:

I am just about as certain as I can be that this is not true for Win9x systems such as Nightshade is using.

The spambot detection relies on the transparent intercept for port 25 that only works in NT based systems.

So the Internet Mail provider is useless for Win9x users except when used with specific clients that have been modified by the Mail wizard to have proxies set.

If what you're saying is true, is there anything I need to do as I am currently using Microsoft Outlook 2000 and the plug in, or is the Internet Mail useless with windows 98?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:26:28 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
Actually alanrf,

What you have said makes sense, as when I opened Outlook Express I noticed the email scanner service show in ZA, and when I checked the properties for the servers in Outlook Express I could see they had been modified by the Avast wizard.

POP3 127.0.0.1
SMTP 127.0.0.1

Then the account name with#pop3 in the middle

Also I did a test using Outlook Express, and the email scanner service showed up on ZA, so it does work, and there were 4 different ports on TCP it was listening to.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:44:58 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »
Sorry this can be deleted.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:58:59 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 11:21:24 PM »
The great thing about the avast plugin for Outlook is that it is written to work with Outlook to scan the messages totally independently of the way the message is transmitted - so it doesn't matter if the message is on a secure email connection or not an email connection at all (like Hotmail).

If you never user any other mail (or news) client then the Internet Mail provider is of no value on a Win98 system.